Can't Find Network Devices? (And AirPlay)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hrothgar, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I have a late 2011 15" Macbook Pro with OSX 10.7.5. I wanted to do mirroring through my Apple TV (2nd gen, I think). According to what I've read, I should be able to do this, but the airplay icon doesn't appear on my tool bar.

Then I wanted to check if my network recognizes the apple tv, but I can't find that place where it shows everything on my network. I went to preferences/network. It says I'm wifi connected, but I thought there was a tab or something that tells me that's connected.

I've got an airplay extreme, Western Digital external drive that backs up through Time Machine, the apple tv, an iPhone and an iPad (not sure if the last two will show up).

Shouldn't I be able to see somewhere on the Macbook that all these things are connected?

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Airport or Airplay Extreme? Airport Extreme will only show up in the Airport Utility unless you've connected a USB drive to it and shared it, and then the drive will show up.

You won't see the iPhone or the iPad. You're not mentioning if the Western Digital device is network attached or direct attached to the machine. Since you're not complaining that TM isn't working I'm assuming direct attached.

Apple TV will only show up in Airplay if, and only if Airplay is turned on in the settings of the ATV.

3. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi -- Thanks for the reply.

My router is an Airport Extreme. I've got the WD hard drive connected to it by usb cable (I think). The Apple TV is also connected to it by USB.
    I can use airplay from my iPad through my Apple TV.

But my Macbook doesn't seem to see the Apple TV. I remember something in the Network Utilities perhaps, where I could see all of the devices on my network. But I can't seem to find that.

4. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone.
    It was an easy answer. I just had to upgrade my OSX to 10.8.

You may now leave the edges of your seats.