Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sangamc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
i just got a G4 AGP from a college buddy with no os installed. i bought the os-x dvd from comp-usa and was able to install without any problems. i then bought an encore st processor upgrade that requires i update my g4 firmware to 4.2. in order to do this i need to run the updater in os 9 classic mode.
i do not have any os9 setup cds, and the store bought version of osx does not have the "hardware tester" dvd included. where can i find os9 or even the os 9 system folder (someone told me thats all i would need to get classic mode working)

im new to apple so if anyone has any suggestions for upgrading my g4Agp firmware so i can put this encore st in place please let me no

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
sangamc said:
i just got a G4 AGP from a college buddy with no os installed. i bought the os-x dvd from comp-usa and was able to install without any problems. i then bought an encore st processor upgrade that requires i update my g4 firmware to 4.2. in order to do this i need to run the updater in os 9 classic mode.
i do not have any os9 setup cds, and the store bought version of osx does not have the "hardware tester" dvd included. where can i find os9 or even the os 9 system folder (someone told me thats all i would need to get classic mode working)

im new to apple so if anyone has any suggestions for upgrading my g4Agp firmware so i can put this encore st in place please let me no
You can find it here. BTW, it won't hurt you to capitalize your proper nouns, acronyms, and the first letter of each sentence.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
MisterMe said:
BTW, it won't hurt you to capitalize your proper nouns, acronyms, and the first letter of each sentence.

why do people even bother posting this kind of stuff?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mac.FINN said:
hey this guy might be the next e.e. cummings. It's art man! Poor grammar is art!

:D
When he gets his big book deal, then I will pay attention. Until then, I will count him among the victims of the public school system.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Proper grammar IS important, especially if you have a technical question, where you must be as much clear as you can.

sangamc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
annk said:
In this case, it's capitalization, not grammar. :p

thats a good one ...

who really cares if you cant read the post misterme, just look for another one that satisfies your literary thirst. im sure there is lots of good reading all over these message boards.

besides i went to school in africa, and im sure that has something to do with it, as well as the 4 years i spent at university of miami, surely didnt help at all. and all that programming i did for my major and masters has sent any semblance of proper english i used to have to the crapper. plus my keyboard has no shift key and no punctuation marks either except for the dot ontop of the i's

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
sangamc said:
thats a good one ...

who really cares if you cant read the post misterme, just look for another one that satisfies your literary thirst. im sure there is lots of good reading all over these message boards.

besides i went to school in africa, and im sure that has something to do with it, as well as the 4 years i spent at university of miami, surely didnt help at all. and all that programming i did for my major and masters has sent any semblance of proper english i used to have to the crapper. plus my keyboard has no shift key and no punctuation marks either except for the dot ontop of the i's

It isn´t just "a good one", it´s a fact. And you will find that people DO get better help, faster, when their posts are easier to read. It´s not a question of anyone´s literary thirst, it´s a matter of being able to read the post well enough to give the best help possible.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Back to the original question ...

That link is good. Classic will be able to test for you're firmware, but to upgrade (if need be), then you will have to boot into OS 9.

Those encore chips are sweet, they will give you a few more years out of that machine.

Best of luck

sangamc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
got a system restore disk from a buddy, and it allowed me to install os 9. it worked gr8, except the encore processor upgrade fried my logic board. this is beginning to get frustrating?*

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
sangamc said:
got a system restore disk from a buddy, and it allowed me to install os 9. it worked gr8, except the encore processor upgrade fried my logic board. this is beginning to get frustrating?*

i hope you can still get a logic board for you're

i have the G4 400 upgraded to 1.6 just recently --- but if the logic board fried i would think a new computer was my only option. unless i wanted to spend money on that same machine and do the upgrade there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.