Can't find Printer Driver in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by woo83, Nov 12, 2007.

1. woo83 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just made the switch to Mac on the weekend, and everything is running smoothly on my new SR Macbook so far. The only thing I'm having trouble with is getting the right printer driver set up.

I got the Canon MX310 with the rebate that came with my macbook, and it's connected to a PC running Windows XP. I have everything shared properly, and I installed the printer driver (onto my Macbook as well) that came on the CD with the printer. The problem I'm having is that I can't figure out where this printer driver is saved to on my Macbook!

I tried looking at all those drivers that come preinstalled on Leopard, but the MX310 is not one of them, and it doesn't seem that my newly installed driver shows up on that list.

I just can't find it, so I have selected the Generic Postscript Printer driver. Could someone please help me set this up so that I am using the correct driver for my printer?

Many thanks!!

2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Is the printer showing up in your System preferences/ Printer Fax?

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If my experience with a Canon iP6000D is anything to go by, the supplied Canon driver seemed to only work if the printer was directly connected to the USB port. Any attempt to access via sharing or on a print server was fruitless.

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

My friends Lexmark driver wasn't included either. I found it online then just before installing, her printer magically showed up. Unfortunately it appears as though Canon doesn't offer the driver for download. Nice support on their end :rolleyes:

5. woo83 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your replies guys. Yes, the printer does show up in my printer/fax thing. And I'm not sure if I was clear enough - Canon DOES provide a driver for this printer, and I installed it right off the CD that came with the printer, but now I don't know where the driver is stored on my MacBook. (It's not in that list of drivers that came pre-installed with leopard).

So does anyone know where I can find that driver on my machine??

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Following on from my post above re my iP6000D, if you haven't got the printer plugged into the USB port, then the Canon driver never appears as an option in the setup. If you plug the printer in to a USB port then I think the driver will show up and be selectable

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

And of course, the printer has to be turned on too :D

8. yus666 macrumors newbie

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Canon drivers are only useable if your printer is connected directly. If you are trying to print over a network you are going to have use other drivers.

10. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    The following is what worked for me:

Make sure the computers are in the same workgroup/domain

Go to System Prefs/Print & Fax and click the + button

If the printer is listed there, select it and click add

If not, click more printers and it should be there

That is all the light i have to shed on your problem, sorry

11. OZLIGHT macrumors newbie

Print Drivers

I'm having exactly the same problem with a HP printer. It works automatically when plugged directly via USB however I don't want it plugged in directly (macBook Pro), I want to use it on my network. I find it no problem, but the driver is not on the list, despite the fact that I have also installed it from disk. My printer is a HP PSC 1215 AIO. Help appreciated. People who don't understand the problem, please don't reply (IE most of the responses to the original post so far)

Cheers:)

12. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    What I posted before is what worked on my HP PSC 1350

13. bseaman macrumors newbie

similar problem

I have a similar problem. I have a new iMac g5, which I purchased with the Canon MX310. I have downloaded the driver several times, and each time after I restart the computer when finished the driver disappears, and It can not be found in the places that were recommended above. Again, I have done this several times. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you

14. MMM08 macrumors newbie

MMM08

And this worked for me as I have a canon MP830 and I couldn't see it as it was networked. I have spent hours trying to get this #@#$% printer to work networked (either way you do need to plug it into the usb port once)! 2 mins after reading this post I had my solution. Now as I have logged onto the domain I can use the canon driver which is handy when using the canon cd label software and I can finally select CD TRAY D Yahooooo! The guttenprint driver has many options but not the cd tray and faxing etc. I don't have to use the old windows machine any more!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::D:D:D:D:D

15. MMM08 macrumors newbie

MMM08

Spoke to soon damn! I think pages was reverting to the gutenprint driver, in label print I select the canon print driver and I get all the menus but it does not print:(:eek::mad:

16. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Try managing printers with the built-in CUPS utility. It's a Unix utility, CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) and printers can be managed in this way. For access to this, cut and paste the numbers 127.0.0.1:631 into your browser.