Can't Find right Part Number for late 2008 MBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khabboub, Mar 30, 2014.

1. khabboub macrumors member

hey guys, i have been reading the forums for a while, but i just joined because i need help with something.

i searched all over but i cant really find the answer. i have the first unibody macbook pro, the late 2008 one with the exposed battery, and i am happy to say that the computer is still working fine. i just have one problem, the adhesive holding the screen in place has started to come apart, close to the hinge.

i am looking at just getting a whole new display assembly, but i cant find the right P/N. i think i have narrowed it down to 2, but im not sure which one it is.

661-4837
    661 5091

also, i am not sure what the whole deal is with the airport card being inside of the display assembly. is that on the newer MacBooks or the older models?

will any screen assembly bolt to it? these assemblies are expensive, so if you know of anywhere that sells them for a bit cheaper that would be awesome.

thanks in advance guys, this REALLY will help.

Attached Files:

2. khabboub thread starter macrumors member

3. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

It may be a long shot, but have a look on iFixIt to see if they list the relevant part number.

Barney

4. khabboub thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats where i got those 2 part numbers. but im not entirely sure which one to go with.

5. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

This happened to my late 2008 15" mbp back in 2010. I was out of warranty and didn't have apple care. I took it to a local mac shop (we don't have an apple store here) and they quoted me about $800.....they told me I would be better of buying a whole new laptop. So I went home and took a stab at calling up Apple and bringing up the issue with them. The lady I spoke to told me to email her a few pics showing the problem. I sent them to her and the next day she called and told me that they'll replace it free of charge. They sent me a box and it came back in 2 days :)

Mine was worse than yours though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. khabboub thread starter macrumors member

Wow yours is much worse than mine, when I called apple I got an automated guy that said I had to pay for technical support over the phone because I didn't have apple care. Do you by chance remember who you called?

7. triplelucky macrumors regular

If you can't get a new one you could probably fix the one you have.

8. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Can you not just say you have AC on another product?
    I had a problem with a 2009 Time Capsule, when I went online to get Tech Support I had to give the serial number of the TC, when that showed up as not covered I got the option of speaking to them if I had AC on any other product, which I have on my rMBP, but they never asked me what I had the AC on and I didn't mention anything to them.
    It might just be with Time Capsules though as you can't actually get AC on them.

Barney

9. Nabooly, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Well I'm not sure if you can tell but in the first pic it's kinda the same as yours. It was still standing up, but a few weeks later the hinge no longer worked because most of the screen was becoming un-glued. I just called the standard apple number....this was a few years ago so I'm not entirely sure whether you'll get the same service. Honestly I assume there were others like me that had the same issue; that or the lady was just feeling generous.

Edit: I went back through my email. I'll PM you the contact info.....

...uhh couldn't pm you for some reason.