Can't find Router IP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by circuitlego, Apr 30, 2013.

1. circuitlego macrumors newbie

Hello,

In Network Settings (OS X 10.8) it doesn't show a router IP address for my ethernet connection. I can't get to the web configuration tool for my router because of this.

Does anyone have any idea why my mac doesn't recognize a router IP?

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

What do you get, do you get something like 169.x.x.x?

Post a screenshot of the connection, you could also check if the cable if connected well or maybe the cable is a bad one, another possibility is that the router has to be reset or is faulty.

3. circuitlego thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

----------

I have tried reseting the router back to factory settings multiple times already :\

4. simsaladimbamba

Is there a switch / hub between the Mac and the router?

Have you clicked the Advanced button and looked under the TCP/IP tab for the router's address?

5. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

There's reset and reset, most routers have a fast reset which only resets the router for problems but the configuration is still kept the same, or a factory reset which resets the router to factory settings.
    Make sure your ethernet patch cable is a good one, there are also crossover cables and those won't work.
    Try a different cable if you have one
    Trying a different router is more difficult though but if you could you should.
    For instance, if you both changed the cable and the router it is almost sure to be your Mac.
    But, try the following as well, delete the below folder and restart, you must restart to make this work, it will reset all your network settings.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

the 169.x.x.x means it is connected but can't get an IP address

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are getting that 169.xx IP address automatically due to APIPA. This happens when no DHCP server is available.

Do you perhaps have your router in bridge mode? What brand/model router do you have.

7. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Does no one here know about ifconfig in terminal?

Y'all are almost as bad as Windows admins with your neglect of command line tools in this thread ;)

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Sadly, ifconfig won't tell us what the chosen configuration option is: DHCP, DHCP with Manual Address, etc. A screenshot of the Network pane in System Preferences will.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would dare say everybody so far in this thread contributed far more than you did.

10. pkmac macrumors newbie

Facing the same problem

Did anyone find solution to this