Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Where are the audio quality options for Apple Lossless audio? I have Apple Music but it’s not in my settings.

Attachments

• 7D816BC2-1F6D-4DF5-BC64-D245725CCD71.png
    7D816BC2-1F6D-4DF5-BC64-D245725CCD71.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 278

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
They haven’t rolled out lossless yet. The last update they gave was sometime this month.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
During the keynote, Apple confirmed it's coming today, so it's just a matter of them flicking the switch on the server side. It's not been done, as yet. Once it's done, you will then see it.

rumoursmac

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
During the keynote, Apple confirmed it's coming today, so it's just a matter of them flicking the switch on the server side. It's not been done, as yet. Once it's done, you will then see it.

No, you're confusing Spatial Audio and Apple Lossless.

Spatial Audio launches today.

Apple Lossless launches later this month.

Apple Lossless Hi-res later this year.

Last edited:

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Reactions: rumoursmac

rumoursmac

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
Wrong!

View attachment 1789091

View attachment 1789093

Lol yes this was a surprise to everyone!

There was no announcement of Lossless or Hi-res Lossless launching today.

A nice surprise!

But at the time of my reply, my reply was correct lol

drunkmouth

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015

A nice surprise!

It wasn’t. They said Lossless was coming to Apple TV 4K and HomePod later this year in the Keynote. For iOS/Mac it was always June.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England

A nice surprise!

Not a surprise, was known since the announcement on 17th May that it would come in June (20 million tracks, with the remaining 75 Million by the end of the year), Additionally it was mentioned in the keynote that the new Apple Music features were coming today. So at the time of your reply, you were still incorrect.

rumoursmac

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
Not a surprise, was known since the announcement on 17th May that it would come in June (20 million tracks, with the remaining 75 Million by the end of the year), Additionally it was mentioned in the keynote that the new Apple Music features were coming today. So at the time of your reply, you were still incorrect.

Nothing in your links says Lossless was launching with today's date (which is what I wrote).

A general date of June does not equate to today's date ?

So yes, it's a pleasant surprise for everybody today :cool:

rumoursmac

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
It wasn’t. They said Lossless was coming to Apple TV 4K and HomePod later this year in the Keynote. For iOS/Mac it was always June.

Please read what I wrote and note the word "today" that I wrote.

Indeed, there was no mention Lossless was launching today, hence a lot of people are pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying this great surprise !

Sounds great

Last edited:

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Nothing in your links says Lossless was launching with today's date (which is what I wrote).

A general date of June does not equate to today's date ?

So yes, it's a pleasant surprise for everybody today :cool:

Right, so you expected they would have split it over June? You're just avoiding common sense! ?

How about you provide links that state the features were being released separately in June? ??? I'll wait....

From most of the threads in the forum, only you seemed surprised, whereas the rest of us were not surprised that something Apple announced was coming in June previously as 1 thing, was released today, just cos Gagan used Spatial Audio in the announcement as a cover all. There were people that have posted in other threads they spoke to Apple Support asking when it was going live yesterday and Apple Support specified both Spatial Audio and Lossless to them.

rumoursmac

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
Right, so you expected they would have split it over June? You're just avoiding common sense! ?

How about you provide links that state the features were being released separately in June? ??? I'll wait....

Amazing, you knew this was coming today.

Can you also send me this week's winning Powerball numbers?

Thanks!

:D?‍♂️

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Amazing, you knew this was coming today.

Can you also send me this week's winning Powerball numbers?

Thanks!

:D?‍♂️

I knew it was, when Ragan said about spatial audio. Seeing as Apple have always referred to this being bundled with Lossless, common sense was that both would come. Plus, as stated, people in other threads said that after that was announced, they even checked with Apple Support, who confirmed both would come by the end of the day.

You’re really determined to go against common sense & logic.

• Wow
Reactions: rumoursmac

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Are there for me with an Iphone SE 2. Try to reboot your device.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016

Im from Spain.

I have lossless in all my Apple devices already, including the apple tv 4K (there are new settings in the music app to turn on lossless and/or Atmos Music). The only device that will get lossless in the fall is the homepod. Screenshot of the home app settings in Homepod OS 15 beta 1.

2agsxwavp1471.jpg

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Not here yet on 11 Pro.

Do you need specifically Apple Music for this setting to appear?

If you go into the Music App, then select some song which is advertised as Spatial audio capable and try to play it - Apple Music trial offer appears, however, the specific song can in most cases be purchased on iTunes Store (there is a link in Music app to iTunes Store) and downloaded as well. It should theoretically mean that Spatial Audio should be available offline…?

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Not here yet on 11 Pro.

Do you need specifically Apple Music for this setting to appear?

If you go into the Music App, then select some song which is advertised as Spatial audio capable and try to play it - Apple Music trial offer appears, however, the specific song can in most cases be purchased on iTunes Store (there is a link in Music app to iTunes Store) and downloaded as well. It should theoretically mean that Spatial Audio should be available offline…?
It’s Apple Music only. Not for iTunes purchases.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Hmm… I tried to purchase and download one of the advertised Spatial Audio files.

After trying to play it from Spatial Audio Section in Music / Browse - I was greeted with a pop-up saying the file was downloaded in HQ Stereo, and in order to listen to Dolby Atmos, I needed to remove the download (See the attached screenshot).

I removed the download and I could play the song but did not really notice much difference. When I tried to download the file for another time - I got another pop-up with an option to Enable Dolby Atmos (and warning regarding space). I pressed Download and it proceeded fine (See another screenshot).

There is still no option in settings though… 696555F2-E0E0-4AA4-B1E5-7B617DF159D9.jpeg A1B90F1B-4228-4D74-A260-1AB1C8F13870.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.