Can't find the unused SATA ports on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cowm007, Mar 7, 2008.

1. cowm007 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I just got my new mac pro and I'm trying to install some extra drives to it. I've read about the unused SATA ports on the motherboard but I can't seem to find them. I tried searching but I had no luck. Anyone know where they are and how I can access them easily?

2. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

Ohhh I see where they are now. Thanks for the link.

Btw, I found an unused power connector in the optical bay area (as well as an unused parallel ATA connection). I'll probably run the drives internally from there using a molex->sata power adapter or whatever they're called. I read that's how the MaxConnect product powers the drives.

3. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

If you are thinking of attaching a drive to the ODD, either externally or internally, you won't be able to boot Windows off it. Unless someone here has found a driver for Vista or XP ... anyone??

4. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm putting 6 drives in my Mac Pro. Drive 1 is OS X. Drive 2 is Windows. Drive 3-6 is a RAID array which will be used as my new home folder. Hopefully it'll work out and I'll find the parts I'm missing tomorrow morning at Fry's electronics.

5. supercooled macrumors 6502a

How do you plan on mounting the 2 extra drives?

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

I actually used the exact setup listed in that link. Works great.

7. thedommer macrumors regular

I hooked up an eSATA card to one of those. damn its annoying to get to them. very stressful. havent tried the sSATA yet though.

why cant I install windows on it?

8. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm making a custom bracket to hold the optical and the drives. I like the MaxConnect setup but it's too expensive at $129. Mine probably won't look as nice as the regular optical bay module, but it should hold things in place. That should be the easy part anyway, it was a such pain to route the SATA cables to the optical bay area.

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Did you finish this project?? If so, can you post pics of your jury-rigged solution??

I just got done putting one drive under the optical bay, using some metal things that came w/ my Stacker case to fit a 3.5 drive into a 5 1/4 bay. SNUG fit is all I can say. I actually pulled the fan assembly out of there to get to the SATA ports. I didn't have a 90 degree SATA cable, but luckily I had some SATA cables from my DFI board that were pretty small, so it fit nicely. Now that I think about it, I think I'd like to do a 6 drive as you suggested. Or maybe not. Maybe I can RAID-1 drives 5-6 as a backup to the backup. Right now I've got 1 74 gig Raptor w/ Leopard on it, one 400 gig w/ Windows, one 500 gig drive for Apple Loops, Jam Packs, and other Logic/Soundtrack Pro stuff, and one 750 gig drive that's partitioned 500/250 (well, minus that when you do the conversion) for recording music, doing video, etc.
    It's an o.k. setup I suppose. But I've got stuff everywhere (except on the 320 in bay "5". I thought about using that for Time Machine, but I may just use Carbon Copy Cloner instead.
    Decisions, decisions, decisions.

That MaxConnect looked like a good solution....... until I saw the price. :eek: