Can't find this cable. Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RedCroissant, Aug 5, 2012.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

I recently bought a Thermaltake hard drive docking station that has USB 2.0 and eSATA connections. The problem is, I have an iMac and no eSATA port. I don't like the response time and the lag that I have when booting up the bare drive over USB and was hoping that someone on here would know where I could locate an eSATA->Firewire800 cable/adapter. Thanks in advance!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. simsaladimbamba

There is no such cable, as Firewire is different from eSATA it would need a converter.
    If you have Thunderbolt (2011 iMac), you could look into this and buy an eSATA ExpressCard like this.

Maybe there is a Firewire to ExpressCard adapter out there, but I doubt it.

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I was hoping for something much easier and much cheaper than that. I can't justify paying $169 plus shipping both ways(even if it does exponentially increase the transfer speed).

Well at least I'm not crazy. My iMac is a 2009 20" 2.66GHz C2D. And that's too bad because now I have my original 320GB HDD that i really won't end up using.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Buy a docking station with Firewire builtin. Return the one you have now.

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I got my docking station with eSATA and FW800 for like $39 at macsales. At work we have three more, I think. They work great.

7. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

What brand is it? I tried to find one on there and the one I found is $80. I can' afford that.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Yep, just saw that, I got the old non-usb3 Voyager Q on sale. It's at the bottom of the page, for $65, and sold out. I told my boss, and that's when we all got the same one! :D

Sorry, keep looking!

9. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I guess I'll just stick with the one that I have. I can't return it and I definitely can't afford to buy another one. And after all, it does work well and allows me to use the other HDD. So, ok then. 40MB/s is my speed.