Can't find whats taking up all the space

Discussion in 'macOS' started by busterbluth, Jun 21, 2014.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

So my hard drive space went from 96gb to 54gb free.

I don't know what is taking up all the space.
    I have a disk map application, and it says that i have used 133gb on my hard drive, but the totals for all the folders (entire hard drive) are 100 gb.

Anyone have any idea where this data may be?

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

From the terminal, try running "df -h". This will show you how much space each partition has allocated to it and how much is used. You can also try "du -h" to see how big each file is in the directory you are currently in.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....this is a question that seems to come up with a new thread at least once a week. It's probably the local time machine backups/snapshots that the OS makes when not connected to the backup drive....are you using a macbook or macbook pro, or do you not keep your backup drive connected and/or turned on all the time?

Connecting the backup drive and initiating the backup session should free up the space, if it does't maybe a reboot too. The local backup option can be tuned off via terminal command (or by using a tool like Onyx if you happen to be terminal-shy)....oh yeah!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like Duff-Man mentioned, you likely have Time Machine turned on and the space is used by Time Machine's local snapshots.

Run the command below in Terminal and it will show how much space is being used in this way. You can just ignore it and OS will start to delete files from here once your disk used space hits 80%. Or if you just turn Time Machine off then on again it will zero the space.

Code:
    sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups

5. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Use Clean My Mac, I had this problem once when a Virtual Machine allocated space and when I deleted it the space still remained as "used".

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Or don't…. Many threads on this forum with users reporting Clean My Mac rendered their Mac FUBAR.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use this terminal command to disable the local TimeMachine backups
    sudo tmutil disablelocal

That should give your space back

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Yes.

It's a wonnnnderful feature, btw, and nothing I'd recommend turning off. Recently I trashed/deleted something important (d'oh!) and, in desperation, entered Time Machine, even though I was thousands of miles and a week's travels away from my backups. And there was the file.

Simply wonderful. It's moments like that when I bow in gratitude to Cupertino.

Stories like that, my friends, is why I use a Mac. The little things. The very big, very wonderful little things.

9. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Oh didnt know that, been using it for like 5 years now or something like that, Ill try and find some info on that then.