Can't find Windows 7 partition after restore

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jmj2014, May 26, 2013.

1. jmj2014 macrumors newbie

I recently restored my computer from a backup after failing to resize my Windows partition due to a disk error...and now I can't find my Windows partition. I know it's still there because when restoring from the backup the size of the 'disk' I was restoring to was the size of the Mac partition and I can still see the partition in the Disk Utility application...however, I cannot boot to it by holding Option when I restart my computer.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

2. freeuser macrumors regular

more information please

I guess you have a working Lion or ML partition and Bootcamp? So, if you tried to resize your bootcamp and it failed to recover from your backup (which program did you use?), you can try to boot from your windows 7 dvd and try to the repair mode. Maybe fix mbr or fix boot can get your windows partition to boot again, if not, it would be better to delete your bootcamp partion in OS X and set a new one and than try to recover windows from your backup again.

3. jmj2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to resize my Mac partition to create more space to extend my Windows partition and was unsuccessful, so after failing to repair the disk through fsck and the Disk Utility (booting from the install disk), I backed up my Mac through Time Machine then erased and restored my system, again through Time Machine, which is where I lost the Win7 partition. OS still Snow Leopard since I never bothered to buy Lion, even though I probably should have.

The few similar ancedotes I was able to find online all ended in the user with the issue having to re-partition and restore from an image, and I'd prefer not to have to do that.

4. freeuser macrumors regular

Timemachine

I am sorry for your problems, but if you used Timemachine for your backup, Windows isn't included! You have to use programs like winclone ($) or some limited freeware from Paragon. Maybe, if you don't want to pay winclone, you can find an older free version, but if you can't boot your Windows 7 partition already, than you have to do a fresh install of Windows.

Maybe another user have a better solution.