cant find xcode...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryans79, May 5, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hello!

As some of you know, i bought a mac just so i could learn cocoa programming... i also have a couple of programming books to help me along the way, but have already hit a kind of brick wall.

In my book it says:
    But its not there, i opened finder then went to the above location and all it shows me is "utilities", i googled a bit and just got the info that xcode comes with X.5 by default... so i used spotlight and typed in xcode, unfortunetly all it shows me is my PDF book on learning xcode...

What am i doing wrong? I'm guessing i have to enable it in some way... but how?

(Please note, i dont know the mac well, just been using it for 2 days so...baby steps :rolleyes: )

2. bartelby macrumors Core

It should be on the system disc that came with your computer.
    You need to install the developer stuff.

3. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

And for anyone else who finds this thread because they were having the same problem, its on the installation disk under "optional installs"

Cheers!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Note that the version on your install DVD will be old. You can download the latest version (for free) from developer.apple.com, as well as access up-to-date documentation, additional code samples, examples and so on.

5. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey!

Thanks for that update, i just installed it from my disk and am screwing around with interface builder as well as xcode, just wrote my first app/window (a random generator with two buttons, seed and generate) and it works! :D

Quick question, if i do download the latest version from where you said, will it overwrite all that i have done? do i need to do a backup of sorts? everything is working, am just nervous I will screw something up and wont know how to fix it.

Thanks!

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It will overwrite your existing Developer Tools install, but none of your own work as that will be saved in your user area (double check this to be sure).

7. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular