Can't format an SD card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pgolden, May 1, 2009.

1. pgolden macrumors newbie

I just switched cameras from a Canon PowerShot to a Canon XSI.

I thought I'd be able to use my old SD cards in the XSI, but I'm not having luck. I've tried the format option on the XSI but it only allows me to take one shot before telling me the card is full. I've tried it with several cards - 4 and 16GB ones.

Does the XSI only take SDHC cards? I didn't think so, yet I have a new one of those and it works fine.

Thanks for your advice.

Patrick

2. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Before you insert the card on the new camera card slot, make sure you format it in the old camera. How about using a card reader, and formating it using the Canon software that came with the new camera?

When you pull out a card from a camera and use it on another camera, this can screw-up the photo ID system of the new camera. For example, i take the memory card from my Rebel XT and use it on my 40D. In this case, the 40D, since I have it on "continuous numbering," assigns a number higher than the highest photo number on the new card. However, if I use a newly reformatted card, the 40D assigns a number to the next photo that is one higher than the highest photo number in the camera's memory, thus continuing with the correct count.

Just don't take any photos using the old card, unless you reformat it first. If you already have taken photos using this old card, you still can reset the camera.

Also, it's a very good idea for you to buy a photography guide written by David D. Bush for your camera. It will save you quite a lot of time learning about your camera. I bought one for my 40D a year ago, and haven't looked at the owners manual since. These guides are readily available locally (at Barns & Noble, etc.), but "amazon" also has them.