Can't format flash drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattbatt, Oct 1, 2007.

1. mattbatt macrumors member

This is probably a better place for this thread . . .
    I had a previous post here talking about my problems with my Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 512 mb flash drive (older, no U3). It has been formatted fat32 for 3 years, worked fine between mac and PC, then I added a 1TB maxtor to my G5, and it stopped recognizing my flash drive.

SO, I finally said, ok, reformat. Here is the problem: first, I noticed disk utilities showing my drive as only a 247 MB drive and second, upon reformatting, I got the spinning ball of death. [I should mention here that I unplugged the maxtor 1tb drive and my second HD and uninstalled the drivers for the maxtor, just in case this was causing problems]. I tried other formats instead of MS-Dos fat 32 but it froze on all. So now it is somewhere between a semi-formatted drive and an unrecognizable drive. Great.

Now, I have taken my flash drive to my work PC to try and format as fat32. First, it only allows me to choose a size of 247 MB and second, this computer also won't format, saying an error occurred.

Now what? Any software, any manual overrides? I know my cruzer was working fine just days ago . . .

Thanks guys!

2. mattbatt thread starter macrumors member

ya, maybe I'll change that other one to another question. But I thought this was a better place to ask the question (peripherals)

3. mattbatt thread starter macrumors member

btw, I just did the run > CMD

chkdsk f: /f

on my XP machine and dos says the type of file system is RAW. It can't do anything with RAW