Cant free up space??! Help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ritmomundo, May 11, 2011.

1. ritmomundo, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I'm trying to add videos to my iPhone via netatalk to the Media folder to play in VLC, but I cant seem to be able to free up space! Finder says I have only 330 MB free. I had about 20 videos in that folder already from before, and I deleted half of them using the netatalk connection just now (which should have freed up about 10 gigs). However, it still says I've got 330 MB free, and its not letting me transfer anything more due to lack of space, and I'm not sure why.

I've tried restarting the phone and emptied the trash folder on my laptop, with no resolve. Is there a trash/recycle bin folder on the iphone that I need to empty? I tried looking through some of the folders, but didn't see anything.

I've finally got my phone set up how I like it, and I really dont want to do a restore. If anyone can help out, I'd really really appreciate it!

BTW- iphone 4, verizon, 4.2.6 jailbroken with greenpoison.

Edit: Strange, I deleted another file through the VLC program itself, and Finder still says theres only 330 MB free. Is this an issue with netatalk? Or am I accessing the wrong place? When I open Finder, it shows 2 folders: home and root. So I go in root, then /var/mobile/Media... This is where all my videos show up to be played in VLC. I dunno, I just hope I havent screwed something up entirely.

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Since you're jailbroken iWipe should work perfectly. It's available on Cydia and formats any files that were removed.

3. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Thanks. I'll try that now, I hope it works

4. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Okay, so after iWipe, I have 328.9 MB free! It went down by 1 MB. However, iWipe said there was about 2.5 GB of free space! So now I'm really confused.. :(

5. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

6. scotpig macrumors newbie

wow man I'm having the exact same problem, anyone with updates or info to rectify this issue???

I have a 14Gig iPhone4 running 4.2.1 JB'd with Greenpoison, and I've deleted ALL games, videos and ANY program over 150 MB, and collectively I should only have MAYBE 1 Gig of stuff installed, and it's telling me I only have 150MB left of free space!!!:confused: :mad:

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Hey Moderators. I'll also copy this into the forum feedback. Instead of removing my post, should you instead move this thread into the Hacks forum? I don't JB and the only solution I can offer someone who did doesn't involve JB and what I suggested will work, it's just not what they asked for. The Hacks forum may be full of people that can help with his issue.

8. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I don't remember exactly now, but I know there was something that had installed onto the "system" partition of the phone (where apps/media) aren't supposed to be. I think it was something I had installed from cydia. Maybe check to see what you've installed from cydia and deleting something that's unnecessary from there, and see if that frees up some of that space. Sorry, I wish I could remember more details.

Ultimately, I ended up updating to iOS 5 a few months later, and any space issues I was having were resolved.