Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hi All,

I have a 2012 Mac mini (base model) to which I've attached a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080. It's a VGA only monitor and as such it's attached via an old (i.e. bought before thunderbolt existed) mini displayport to VGA adapter.

My problem is I can't get the Mac mini display anything when I select the native resolution (black screens and re-adjusts back to 1680x1050).

I've connected the same monitor and adapter to my Macbook Pro (Late 2010 I think) and I'm able to output the correct resolution.

Does anyone have any advice on what might be the problem? I've tried SwitchResX and reseting PRAM/NVRAM etc.

Could it be that the mini display port adapter is an old/incompatible version?

Thanks

Joe

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Ye so I realise the monitor is old but it should still work right? I mean it works outputting 1080p from my MBP/Mini Displayport just not from the Mini/Thunderbolt port.

I also tried updating the MDP-VGA adapters firmware as I remember being asked to do it for a unit a few years ago. When I try this the firmware update wizard tells me there isn't an adapter and/or external monitor connected and won't proceed. I can only assume the adapter has already got the latest firmware installed.

As an aside, the mac mini is acting as a mostly headless Plex media server that I probably shouldn't have bought in the first place so buying a new monitor is something I'd like to avoid. I just happen to be wanting to do some of my thesis writing on the Mini over the next month or two and the non-native resolution screen is really bugging.

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
So I thought there might have been different generations of adapters with different resolution capability. I'm going to borrow a newer adapter from work and give it a go.

That said, why do you think the MDP adapter outputs 1080p from the MBP but not the Mini, could it be the thunderbolt port?

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
I've experienced similar issues but with Windows boxes and different combos of graphics cards and operating system. Basically the firmware in the monitor and the O.S don't seem to like each other.

I found certain Windows 7 boxes couldn't drive our first generation Dell 30" monitors at anything above 1280x900 but boot them into Linux and they were fine. The newer versions of the monitor worked with no issues. Dell suspected the firmware but the monitors were well past their end of life.

I believe it could be either that adapter or the monitor and at just a few pounds or dollars I would try another adapter before considering replacing the monitor.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I have a 2012 Mac mini (base model) to which I've attached a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080. It's a VGA only monitor and as such it's attached via an old (i.e. bought before thunderbolt existed) mini displayport to VGA adapter."

I'm guessing -- bad connecting cable.
Try a _different_ connecting cable.

Of course, there's no guarantee a different cable will solve the problem. But problems synching up monitors with a computer are often due to "cabling"...

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Ok so I tried a new cable and a new adapter, neither of which solved my problem.

I then went ahead and bootcamp'd Windows 8 where the mini output 1080p as if there wasn't a problem.

This makes me think it's a problem with the Intel grpahics drivers built into Mountain Lion. Aside from waiting and hoping for a bit of luck in 10.8.4 is there any way for me to manually alter/update the drivers on my mini?

Thanks for all the help guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.