Can't get a PS/2 Keyboard to Work on my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sportguy0913, Dec 25, 2009.

1. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

I have an eMachines PS/2 keyboard that I have hooked up to my MacBook Pro with a PS/2 to USB adapter. The keyboard initially receives power I know because the three lights for numlock, caps lock and scroll lock all light up when I plug it in. However, I am not able to use the keyboard at all... is there anyway I would be able to use it with a download or something?

Thanks

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Try connecting the keyboard using the PS/2 to USB adapter, then reset your laptop (leaving the keyboard connected), and see if you can type with it after the reset.

3. sportguy0913 thread starter macrumors 6502

That didn't work. Any other sugggestions?

4. tinman0 macrumors regular

Chuck it in the bin and buy a usb keyboard. They are dirt cheap and will cost less in your time than messing around with an old, easily replaceable keyboard!

;)

5. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I pulled out an old ps/2 mouse the other day and had the same problem. It's not worth the time trying to figure it out.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have to agree with everyone else. Yeah, living in a throw away day in age sucks, but you can get usb keyboards cheaper then you can get PS2 to USB adapters.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Really? I had a USB to PS/2 converter on my Mac mini work for two years flawlessly. Maybe it's your adapter? (The good ones are about $15.)

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

9. sportguy0913 thread starter macrumors 6502

well the adapter was $2 and the keyboard was free so it was worth a shot.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Sure, but those things exist for a reason. I had a Dell QuietKey from the mid 90's that I absolutely loved, and wanted badly to use on a decent computer. Hence, the adapter. The cost is worth it for a lot of people.

11. carlsmith macrumors newbie

carlsmith

I'm with you SkyBell. I have a valuable mechanical keypad, so throwing it away and buying a cheap USB one is not really a solution. People have reported that some PS/2 to USB adapters do work out the box, no problem. We should aim to list a few, not just tell people to throw away their hardware.