Can't get Airport Express to connect behind N300 router, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tydog07, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

So I'm having difficulty with my 4 roommates, here is some background:

-Comcast is our ISP, we have the fastest internet available from them, 50Mbps down, 10 up

-Sometimes, we try to all stream video or do other bandwidth intensive things
    I want to use an airport express for airplay purposes, as I have an ATV in my room and a stereo system I'd like to connect to

-When I bought an airport express, it seems to be sluggish compared to the Comcast router, or at least my roommates complained that I messed with the status quo, and airplaying music often skipped and cut-out, not ideal

-Bought a Belkin N300 (basic n router), and want to use that for normal day-to-day stuff, and we can airplay when needed on a dedicated network.

-Setup the N300 today, that worked fine. Then tried to setup the Airport Express again (using a different SSID), and it won't connect.

-Internet/Airport Utility told me to enable bridge mode (aka disable N300 as DHCP server) so that I could connect Airport Express behind the N300

-Didn't work, and now I got this error message in Airport Utility, please see attached.

Please help me connect! Is it possible to have a dedicated airport express network for quality airplay experiences without interruption? Is it possible that the airport express is too antiquated for our heavy streaming needs?

Attached Files:

2. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

are you trying to connect the two by wire or wireless?

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

It's unclear how you are trying to set this up. Which device is being used as your router?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You should have 7.6.4 on there as it brought a few speed improvements for all N speed AirPorts. What router do you want as the main router?

5. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I want the n300 to be the main, with the airport express to be used only for airplay needs. Thanks in advance.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Setup the N300 and get it going right. Do you want the Express to connect via Ethernet or wirelessly. If wirelessly reset it then choose "Join a Network".

7. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I make it join a network by connecting wirelessly, won't I experience the same airplay interruptions I have been?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Joining makes it an Ethernet bridge. If you get a solid connection to the N300 it should work fine...

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I sort of have the same set up as you, but I have a Time Capsule as my main WiFi and an Airport Express (latest 2nd/3rd? gen) for my Home Theatre connections.

What I do is basically set up the Airport Express to "Extend a Network" - so it is connecting to the TC wirelessly. This gives the APE an internet connection, so I can go ahead and use the ethernet port on it. I have it connected to an ethernet splitter so that I can have multiple "wired" connections (so to speak).

Now, you can also make the APE independent of your main router by placing it near your modem. You can then connect it via ethernet from one of your router's LAN port to the APE's internet connectivity port. After, you can set it up to be a different WAP with its own SSID for your needs.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Join will also enable the Ethernet ports.

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

True. I just wanted to give another option and detail my current situation.

And as an added benefit, if he chooses Extend, he can expand the coverage of his current router. Joining will only activate the APE and be able to be used but not expand the network.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can only extend the network if the first router is an AirPort of some sort.

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Not true. I installed my old APE at my Dad's house and his router is a Cisco or D-Link; I forget. But, I was able to to extended the network without any problem.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If connected by Ethernet it isn't called an extended network but rather a roaming network.

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Ok, but it's connected wirelessly - it's in a completely different room, with no wires attached. It's just a big plug on the wall with a green light.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

And you're sure it says extend? It should only allow join per Apple's firmware. Either you are mistaken or some weird glitch is what we have here.

17. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm pretty sure, but since it's not at my home I can't readily check. I will double-check next time I go visit my Dad.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Alright! I am pretty curious of this one...