Can't get back my hard disk space back after using disk utility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chcheng0925, Dec 14, 2013.

1. chcheng0925 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone:(,

Today, I try to use disk utility to separate 140 GB to a new Partition which called 'BOOTCAMP'. I used MS-DOS(FAT) as the format.
    I force quit disk utility because I found it should be take long time to finish. But there are no response when I force quit disk utility. Therefore, I shut down my computer to stop the program.
    When I restart my mac, I found that 140 GB disk space are disappeared. It is not possible because the progress of partition has been stopped. I try to open disk utility and delete the separation 'BOOTCAMP' I may created before. But I can't found this partition. There are only one partition for macos.
    Now, I can't get back my 140 GB hard disk space after force quiting the progress of partition. What i can do to restore 140 GB to my hard disk?

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I'll be honest and say you are lucky the computer even boots. Never EVER force quit disk utility when it is running a partitioning operation.

To get your disk space back, you'll need to clone your disk to another hard drive (an external USB works very well), using SuperDuper (Carbon Copy Cloner works as well but I prefer SuperDuper), then boot from your cloned drive (hold down option on hearing the startup chime to select the disk to boot from), use Disk Utility to repartition the main hard drive completely and reformat it, then clone the drive back to the main hard drive.

If you want to create a windows drive, use boot camp assistant.

3. npaisnel macrumors member

You could try using terminal and diskutil

I am no expert but it might at least show you what is going on with the partitions.

So from spotlight type Term and the Terminal black window will appear in the Spotlight list..click it to launch terminal...and once it loads..type diskutil in the window

That will bring up a list of commands you can use.

So for my machine I have typed
    diskutil list

and it brings up the following:
    Administrators-Mac-Pro:~ neil$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS User Folders 999.9 GB disk0s2
    /dev/disk1
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *115.0 GB disk1
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS MacintoshHD 94.0 GB disk1s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 20.7 GB disk1s3
    /dev/disk2
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk2
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
    2: Apple_HFS Mac Clean 10.6.8 iLi... 27.8 GB disk2s2
    3: Apple_HFS Mac Clean 10.6.8 iLi... 27.6 GB disk2s3
    4: Apple_HFS MacintoshHD Full App... 55.6 GB disk2s4
    5: Apple_HFS Old 10.6.8 with errors 55.6 GB disk2s5
    6: Apple_HFS My software 55.6 GB disk2s6
    7: Apple_HFS Mail and contacts 54.2 GB disk2s7
    8: Apple_HFS Documents 56.4 GB disk2s8
    9: Apple_HFS Mavericks clone 51.0 GB disk2s9
    /dev/disk3
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk3
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
    2: Apple_HFS Data 2.0 TB disk3s2
    Administrators-Mac-Pro:~ neil$

So you see my machine has 4 disks labelled disk0 through to disk3 and each disk is subdivided in to it individual partitions.

so if your problem partition was for example the third partition on the second disk like mine it would be labelled

3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 20.7 GB disk1s3

so yo could try one of the commands that you see when you type just
    diskutil

So if I want to verify my Mavericks Clone partition I'd type

diskutil verifyVolume /dev/disk2s9

you will need to see what state yo left the disk in first before we can see if anything can be done..but worth a try.
    I know that there are things you have to use this tool for that Disk Utility itself can't do..the "recovery partition' that the newer OS-X install disk creates..can't be adjusted or seen in Disk Utility but diskutil can remove it