Can't Get Back to 1.1.2 After OktoPrep

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by MurphyM, Jan 31, 2008.

1. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I had a hacked 1.1.3 working perfectly. Somehow it ended up in restore mode.

I can get it back to 1.1.1 though not reliably. But after I OktoPrep the 1.1.2 upgrade fails. All my Macs have had 7.6 iTunes on them. I tried going back to 7.5, no luck. Maybe I didn't get all of 7.6 deleted.

grabbed a PC with 7.4. No luck. Tried 7.5 on the pc. same thing. The update fails with error code (5).

I've reset to 1.1.1 about 30 times. Because each time the 1.1.2 update fails I end up at the PlugMeIntoItunes screen on the touch. Then I have to downgrade and jailbreakme.com and oktoprep.

Anyone? I really miss my 1.1.3 hacks.

2. alex.180 macrumors newbie

alex.180

I had pretty much the same problem. I was downgrading from 1.1.3 on a mac with iTunes 7.6. I was able to put the 1.1.1 and jailbreak it, but then iTunes crashed my iPod and I was not able anymore to downgrade, pgrade or even activate it... always the same error. I tried downgrading to iTunes 7.5 but I had the same result.

My solution was to redo the whole thing on a mac that had never installed iTunes 7.6. Only 7.5. I was lucky I never did the upgrade. Now the computer with 7.6 can't see the iPod, but the "old one" can...

Hope this can help you some way

3. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Alex. I had similar experiences. Scary at times, thinking I wouldn't be able to recover.

I have one machine that has never had iTunes 7.6 installed, but it hasn't helped me yet. It's a Windows box.

I'm kind of wondering if an iPod that has seen iTunes 7.6 never forgets and behaves differently.

4. alex.180 macrumors newbie

alex.180

Do you have any chance to try that on a Mac that had never 7.6? That's the only difference between your method and mine... You tried on PC I tried on Mac. Probably that can work.
    You can also try with iNdependence. It didn't work for me, but somebody around here said it could work.
    My iPod didn't forget it has been around a 7.6, but at least it still work on the other computer...

I know this sounds crazy.. but, what about reinstall the MacOs on one of your computers and never let 7.6 come into it? lol

Good luck with your recovery

5. dagored macrumors 65816

Murph,

After the 1.1.2 update and the plug in to restore symbol(or whatever) comes up, shut down iTunes and download independence. It comes in Mac and PC flavors. Plugged into your computer open Independence, a couple of times if necessary, your jailbroken Touch will now reboot and you are on your way.

6. macfan881 macrumors 68020

two things i did i had trouble at first my pc partition had itunes 7.5 still so i used that also make sure you are using the upgrade and not restore as well when you restore it will wipe out the oktoprep

7. Pedgie06 macrumors member

Downgrading from 1.1.3 to 1.1.1 on itunes 7.6 is the problem. But don't try to uninstall 7.6 and put back on 7.5, it will mess up your music library. The best bet is to do it on another computer with 7.5.

8. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I remembered I had a new Vista machine lying here that I was setting up for someone. I put iTunes 7.5 on it and it took care of everything. I did the whole thing in Windows. I hadn't run the Jailbreak in Windows before, so that was interesting.

After doing the 1.1.2 JB I did the soft 1.1.3. Everything seems to be working fine. I'm not running a tons of third party apps. For me it's all about being ABLE to if I decide I want to!

It was an awful two days.

Thanks again.

9. FearedBliss macrumors member

Glad to hear that. I was about to say that iNdenpendence works for me.. the Jailbreak.app for the Mac doesn't work when you click "Boot from Recovery". I also wrote a tutorial on 1.1.1 and extras. I'll add in how to update to 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 as well.

Here is the guide so far : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=426137

I added the 1.1.2 and 1.1.3. :).

10. alex.180 macrumors newbie

alex.180

Happy ending :)