(can't get) back to bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dashr, Oct 23, 2015.

1. dashr macrumors newbie

dashr

Mac Pro (early 2009)

Bootcamp (W7) on HDD bay 2
    Backup for W7 on HDD bay 3

Upgraded to W10 within the W7 bootcamp environment w/o any problems for at least a month, backup started to fail but I ignored it.

Recently, inadvertently, using BootChamp, I clicked the backup HDD choice instead of the bootcamp HDD and now can no longer get to W10 on the bootcamp HDD.

All I get is the "no bootable disk" black screen.

'Option' restart shows no bootcamp HDD but System Preferences shows it, but when I choose it I get the 'no bootable disk; windows black screen.

What happened & how do I get W10 to reload?

2. dashr thread starter macrumors newbie

dashr

Didn't want to but shelled out the $50 to VMWare to update my old version of Fusion to see if I could use that to get back into the Bootcamp HDD.

Fusion will not load W10 on the Bootcamp HDD displaying the error message:
    "The Boot Camp volume is not prepared to run as a virtual machine. It appears that Windows did not shut down cleanly the last time it was used.
    To shut down Windows cleanly, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and set Windows as the startup operating system. Restart your system. Once in Windows, use the Startup Disk pane in the Control Panel to select Mac OS X as the startup system, then click the Restart button to return to "

I then chose the import option to bring the contents of the Bootcamp HDD over to my main but Fusion will still not load it saying:

"Module 'Disk' power on failed.
    Failed to start the virtual machine"

I have downloaded a W10 iso virtual disc and the Bootcamp drivers but the only option I see that Bootcamp gives me is to wipe the drive. I just wanted to reinstall.

3. dashr thread starter macrumors newbie

dashr

Created a Windows Repair CD that I am able to boot to but it cannot reinstall the OS or repair start up saying that the disk is locked. Can I unlock the disk?

The disk also gets me into Command Prompt but I can't get anything but "Boot config data store could not be opened" which I've read means I need to have admin status. Since I'm the only one who ever used this comp I am the admin but how can I tell it that? Any command line prompts that anyone could suggested to get me to safe mode to repair would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading.