cant get back to my mac to work for screensharing

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by madeirabhoy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

what makes it far more annoying is the other computer is at the other end of town and so a pain to go to, try to change things, then come back to check.

basically i need access to a screen attached to a mac mini in a hotel at the other side of town, to update information on the CMS. the mac mini is attached to fairly spotty wifi, which makes it harder as i have to wait til late evening for the wifi even to be fast enough to try to connect.

originally i tried teamviewer but the problem is when you quit it puts up the 'thanks' box, which isnt the best idea on a display screen.

so tried back to my mac. when i was up there i logged in as my icloud account, turned on back to my mac, made sure screen sharing was turned on. it did give me a warning about ports and how without changing setting in the router to have PnP it might be slow. i definitely saw a tick box somewhere which said 'let anyone control this screen'

when i go in to my imac, i can see the shared computer in my finder. i can click on it, then click on share screen. when i do so, it asks for a user name and password. sorry if im being thick here, but what am i sticking in here? ive tried my icloud user name and password but no joy.

2. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

You need to login to a user on the other machine. So enter a username and password of one of the users on that machine. In the screen sharing settings on the machine you can see which users are allowed to share the screen.