Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
Hey guys,

Quick question for you. Ive been reinstalling leopard now for about an hour due to a botched migration. Should it be taking this long? Btw, its stuck on the apple... is that normal? Does anyone know how long this generally takes?

Thanks for the help gents!

****edit*****

So heres the deal, I tried installing it from inside OS X and then it does the normal reboot, but it doesnt ACTUALLY get back the Apple screen w/ he spinning 'wait' indicator.

Ive tried booting from the disc specifically on bootup, but the same thing happens. I did a hardware check and everything was fine.

Any advice would be really appreciated :)

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
Cant get back to Tiger from Leopard help!

Good morning all.

I have a 2Ghz PPC 20" G5 iMac which I am trying to down grade back to Tiger with no luck. I have the original Tiger disc that came with the machine since I am the original owner.

I get an error message saying that you cannot install this software on this machine.

I tried the whole GUID process with no luck still says no!

Can anyone please help me get back to Tiger.

Thanks

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
hello sir,

Maybe I can shed some light on this. Ive been dealing with a problem that parallels this issue over the last 8 hours and have noticed an incredible amount of forum posts about how you CANT downgrade from tiger using the install disc. This could be your problem (and... obviously it is because I just restated your case).

As far as a solution to this, I would suggest a google search on downgrading from Leopard. I apologize for not providing direct links, however, I got 4 hours of sleep last night :)

Hope that helps,
Arisian

Did you erase the HD?

hmmm, maybe YOU could help me. lol

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That makes no sense.

If you wipe the drive, there's no reason in the world that you cannot reinstall Tiger from the original installer disc.

I don't see a reason that an Archive and Install wouldn't work either, provided one DOESN'T keep Users & Networking intact.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
That makes no sense.

If you wipe the drive, there's no reason in the world that you cannot reinstall Tiger from the original installer disc.

I don't see a reason that an Archive and Install wouldn't work either, provided one DOESN'T keep Users & Networking intact.

I assume you are responding to me. All of the posts I read about this were from someone trying to downground in OS X w/o wiping the HD.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
Did you erase the HD?

Yes I did erase the HD still no luck, I am completley lost on this one since I am the original owner with the Tiger disc that came in the box :(

hello sir,

Maybe I can shed some light on this. Ive been dealing with a problem that parallels this issue over the last 8 hours and have noticed an incredible amount of forum posts about how you CANT downgrade from tiger using the install disc. This could be your problem (and... obviously it is because I just restated your case).

As far as a solution to this, I would suggest a google search on downgrading from Leopard. I apologize for not providing direct links, however, I got 4 hours of sleep last night :)

Hope that helps,
Arisian

hmmm, maybe YOU could help me. lol

Wow! yes I am stuck and dont know what else to do, I never thought it was going to be this hard but after 5 hours last night I finally gave up. All I have on the machine right now is the little flashing folder, oh and yes the drive has been formatted still no luck though.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
OK, so.. you put in the Tiger disc, restart the Mac and hold down the Option key, and what shows up? The installer disc should show up. Select it and click the Right arrow. It should boot to the DVD.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
OK, so.. you put in the Tiger disc, restart the Mac and hold down the Option key, and what shows up? The installer disc should show up. Select it and click the Right arrow. It should boot to the DVD.

my macbook wont even boot from the cd :)

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
Does the DVD show up when you boot, holding down the Option key?

It does for me. I apologize, Im not trying to steal his thread. The disc does show up, but it wont boot from the cd no matter what. I posted about it in another thread...

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC

Im at work right now 8:48am EST I will not be back home in front of Mac until 5PM EST If I recall I tried that last night with no luck

Any tips to try when I get home today, I hope its not another midnight oil session until 2am with no luck :(

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
When you say "original Tiger disk" do you mean the gray apple restore dvd set or do you mean a retail copy of Tiger?

I was just troubleshooting my cousins Macbook and I noticed it was very "selective" of what discs it would boot from.

It wouldn't boot from my DriveGenius disk. It would boot from Leopard, but not from Tiger (assuming because the original Tiger retail DVD isn't Intel compatible), It would not boot DiskWarrior.

I didn't have the original "restore" dvd's that came with the unit because she lost them...After I specifically told her many times not to lose them.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
When you say "original Tiger disk" do you mean the gray apple restore dvd set or do you mean a retail copy of Tiger?

I was just troubleshooting my cousins Macbook and I noticed it was very "selective" of what discs it would boot from.

It wouldn't boot from my DriveGenius disk. It would boot from Leopard, but not from Tiger (assuming because the original Tiger retail DVD isn't Intel compatible), It would not boot DiskWarrior.

I didn't have the original "restore" dvd's that came with the unit because she lost them...After I specifically told her many times not to lose them.

what does it do when it WONT boot?

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC

Its the grey disc that came in the box when I bought it brand new.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
yeah, def. try resetting PRAM and see what happens. If you still get no joy, You might want to see about getting to a genius bar.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
yeah, def. try resetting PRAM and see what happens. If you still get no joy, You might want to see about getting to a genius bar.

Yeah was hoping not to drag it into the Genius Bar, 20" = heavy load :eek: so clearly Leopard does something to the machine that stops it from going back to Tiger in a simple 1-2-3 step.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
so clearly Leopard does something to the machine that stops it from going back to Tiger in a simple 1-2-3 step.

I don't buy it. I have an MBP right next to me with Leopard on it. It came with Tiger. Let me find the installer disc and see if I can boot/reinstall.

My MBP booted just fine from the Tiger discs that came with it. I take it back. It gets to a certain point and kernel panics.

Your error, "I get an error message saying that you cannot install this software on this machine." looks more to me like you aren't using the right installer DVD. You're 100% sure that's an iMac DVD that came with the G5?

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
I agree with Yellow- usually that error means you have the wrong DVD, but you insist it's the one that came w/ the machine. Everyone makes mistakes, especially apple, they could have packed you the wrong one.

Could have been one of those iMac firmware updates they had someplace along the way too...Not just Leopard.

Though, I theorize that Leopard FUBAR's powerbook batteries in the 1.5 and 1.67ghz models, but Apple doesn't agree with me...even though there are countless posts about it, and I myself have experienced 5 powerbooks (2 of my own and the rest are peers who I went to college with and are now in the working world) now with the SAME exact issue within 2 months of installing Leopard...It's more an a coincidence.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Interesting.. the KP is from the graphics card.
Firmware? Or that "Leopard graphics update"?
Or am I using the wrong installer disc? :eek:

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
I don't buy it. I have an MBP right next to me with Leopard on it. It came with Tiger. Let me find the installer disc and see if I can boot/reinstall.

My MBP booted just fine from the Tiger discs that came with it. I take it back. It gets to a certain point and kernel panics.

Your error, "I get an error message saying that you cannot install this software on this machine." looks more to me like you aren't using the right installer DVD. You're 100% sure that's an iMac DVD that came with the G5?

Unless Apple packed the wrong disc in the box it is the grey Apple disc that was in the machine the very day I broke the original seal on the box. I bought the Mac brand new from my local Apple store and have never used the dics until now trying to get back to Tiger after I installed Leopard. I dont know what else to do aside from putting Leopard back on the machine which I really dont care for.

I also dont buy it but unless Apple put the wrong disc in my iMac from the factory looks like I am not going back to Tiger with the factory supplied disc.

My iMac also came with Tiger but I cant get back there!

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
Unless Apple packed the wrong disc in the box it is the grey Apple disc that was in the machine the very day I broke the original seal on the box. I bought the Mac brand new from my local Apple store and have never used the dics until now trying to get back to Tiger after I installed Leopard. I dont know what else to do aside from putting Leopard back on the machine which I really dont care for.

I also dont buy it but unless Apple put the wrong disc in my iMac from the factory looks like I am not going back to Tiger with the factory supplied disc.

My iMac also came with Tiger but I cant get back there!

dwl017, after following this, I think we are actually co-pilots of the same boat. The cd that I have wont book my mbp, and I doubt they send the wrong the WRONG disc for it, however, it is starting to seem like thats the case.

Im not sure what to do about it other than take it into a mac store and say 'Hey, tell me what this cd you SENT with this computer wont boot.'

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
dwl017, after following this, I think we are actually co-pilots of the same boat. The cd that I have wont book my mbp, and I doubt they send the wrong the WRONG disc for it, however, it is starting to seem like thats the case.

Im not sure what to do about it other than take it into a mac store and say 'Hey, tell me what this cd you SENT with this computer wont boot.'

Yeah Im at a stand still but it sure does seem like the disc theroy could be very true becuase I just cant see anything else that would hold it back. I also dont want to tinker with it because its a prefectly good running machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.