Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
I am have much trouble getting BootCamp to install Windows 8.1 on my Late 2013 MacBook Pro. During the Windows installation process, it says something about some boot problem or something. Can somebody please offer me some help or a solution?

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
I did everything through the Boot Camp Assistant. I put the Windows support software on a flash drive. I also used the Boot Camp Assistant to use my Windows 8.1 ISO to create an installation flash drive. The computer restarts, boots to the flash drive, and then takes me through the installation process. After the files are copied to the computer, it pops up with an error: "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I did everything through the Boot Camp Assistant. I put the Windows support software on a flash drive. I also used the Boot Camp Assistant to use my Windows 8.1 ISO to create an installation flash drive. The computer restarts, boots to the flash drive, and then takes me through the installation process. After the files are copied to the computer, it pops up with an error: "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."
Are you using the EFI boot option to install Windows? If so, try the WININSTALL option, if you get one.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
I tried booting the computer to just the Windows thing instead of EFI boot. This time I got an error when selecting the partition to install Windows to. It says: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Yes, Boot Camp created the partition. I'm doing this on the 15 inch Late 2013 MacBook Pro.
Interesting, thanks.
I think a few others have had the same problem.
Bootcamp should create a hybrid MBR when it creates the partition for Windows. It seems that on your model (or at least some of them) Bootcamp is not doing that.
I don't know why this is the case, unless Apple are making changes to accommodate EFI booting Windows in the future - although that is probably a long shot.

If you've tried both the WININSTALL and the EFI boot option and both have failed then it seems you'll have to wait for Apple to correct this issue. (Windows 8.1 is not officially supported yet). You could give them a call.

It may be possible to use the bcdboot + a string to get the EFI boot option running (i.e. assigning a drive letter to the EFI partition in the command prompt then running a bcdboot command to copy the boot files from the USB to that EFI partition).

cyberbro

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2013
I tried everything like, every file format you can

I have the same issue late 2013 iMac and Late 2013 RMBP, I get to the point to pick my bootcamp drive and it will not recognize the format.

Where do I get the 8.1 Windows ISO file (i have a dvd copy)? so I can make the USB bottle drive version.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
I have the same issue late 2013 iMac and Late 2013 RMBP, I get to the point to pick my bootcamp drive and it will not recognize the format.

Where do I get the 8.1 Windows ISO file (i have a dvd copy)? so I can make the USB bottle drive version.

I'm not exactly sure how to make your DVD install into a flash drive install, but I quickly searched Google and found this: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/install-windows-8-usb.htm

Maybe that will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.