Can't get Bootcamp working

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iThibault, Oct 17, 2016.

1. iThibault macrumors newbie

iThibault

Hi,

So this issue has been going on for a long time and I'm slightly going crazy.
    When I first got my iMac (a 27" 5K, Late 2015, currently running macOS 10.12) I immediately split my fusion drive so I would get 1 dedicated SSD and 1 HDD. This might be where the issues started.

However, a few months ago I also wanted to install Windows 10 on my Mac with Bootcamp. I remembered everything went great on my MacBook, so I figured it should work just as good on my Mac. Then I tried to create the bootable USB with bootcamp and I've seen every error you can imagine. After a day of stress, I just gave up then.

Yesterday though, I wanted to give it another shot. So I tried creating the USB with the Bootcamp Assistant and I got the same errors I got months ago. So I thought, why can't I create the USB on my MacBook. So that's what I did. I made the Bootcamp USB with Windows 10 via the Bootcamp Assistant on my MacBook.

When I try to install Windows on my iMac now with the USB I just created, I'm getting another error:

"Your disk could not be partitioned. An error occured while partitioning the disk. Please run Disk Utility to check and fix the error".

I already tried using 'First Aid' in Disk Utility, but that didn't help. I also tried booting up in Single User and running the /sbin/fsck -fy command, but that didn't help as well. I also tried creating a different USB on my MacBook (now a 2.0 flash drive, the previous one was a 3.0 flash drive), but still getting the same error.

The drive I want to install Bootcamp on is a completely empty HDD, so that should make things easy, right?

[​IMG]

I really hope one of you Mac wizard will be able to guide me to a solution. Many thanks in advance!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you boot from the Windows installer (hold Alt on startup), then when it comes to installing Windows, you should see an option for where to install it to.

If you select the 2TB HDD then choose 'Delete'. And then 'Format' for the newly deleted/blank partition.

I hope it's as simple as that. Please do let me know how you get on! :)

3. iThibault thread starter macrumors newbie

iThibault

I did what you suggested and I was able to get the Windows installation screen! I had to leave for class though, so I couldn't proceed with the installation.

I also would like to only use a part of my HDD for Bootcamp and keep the other one accessible for macOS. So now in macOS I partitioned my hard drive like this:

1) Bootcamp - 500GB - ExFAT
    2) Mac - 1500GB - Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I hope I will be able to run the Windows Installer again tonight and install Windows on the Bootcamp partition.

Many thanks for the advice mate, it was great to finally see the Windows logo on my Mac! (never thought I would ever say that)

4. iThibault thread starter macrumors newbie

iThibault

It was still a bumpy road (got some errors regarding EFI and MBR partitions and such) but I'm currently rocking a Windows 10 installation on my Mac!
    I'm still not getting any sound on my Windows installation though. I also can't run the Bootcamp Support Software installation (getting an 'is not intended for this computer model' error) but I installed the Cirrus and Realtek audio drivers. Still I only get these options, no 'speaker' option.

[​IMG]

The S22B300 is my external Samsung display which doesn't even have speakers, so it's strange it shows up in the 'sound' settings of Windows.