Can't get CCC to back up to firewire external

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CJRhoades, May 7, 2008.

1. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I just bought a FreeCom 250GB FireWire 400 external drive that I want to back up all of my stuff to. I just downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner 3.1 for Tiger and I want to make a full bootable copy of it's internal HDD.

Where it asks to select source I select Macintosh HD from the drop down list. But, when it asks for destination, FREECOM HDD is grayed out on the list. Does anybody know a fix for it?

If it helps, I'm running on a TiBook with Tiger, a 667MHz cpu with 1GB RAM and 30GB HDD. I need to back it up because I think the HD is about to fail. Last time I checked S.M.A.R.T status, it said something was wrong so I figure it's going to go anytime.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Check the format of the external. If it's not HFS Plus (Journaled), with the Apple Partition Map scheme, you'll need to make it that way before CCC can clone to it. This requires a simple reformat in Disk Utility.

3. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

It says it's FAT32. I never would have thought the format matters. Another question: I windows compatible with HFS Plus Journaled? I also want to use this drive with my Windows desktop.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Alas, it is not, at least not natively. You'll need a tool such as MacDrive to read HFS Plus disks in Windows.

5. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it free?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

MacDrive is not free.

7. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter now. I just decided to partition the drive. 150GB in MacOs Extended Format (journaled) format and 80GB for Fat32.

8. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it's been awhile but I have another question. I've gotten carbon copy cloner and superduper to clone correctly but nomatter what i try, it won't boot up from the external. After setting it to boot up from the external and restarting, I get a grey screen for about 15 minutes and then it just boots up normally from the internal HDD. Any ideas for a fix?

Edit: Another quick question. Should my external drive be spinning at full speed all the time? As soon as I plug it in, it spins up to full speed and it never hear it spin back down...

9. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

What's the partition map scheme of the drive (You can find this in Disk Utility)? Intel Macs can boot off of externals with both GUID Partition Tables and Apple Partition Maps. PPC Macs can only boot off of externals with the latter type of partition map scheme.

10. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is what you mean but it's Apple HFS.

11. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Whoops I think I found the problem. Under options in the partition section, I have it set as Master Boot Record. I'll change it to Apple Partition Map.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Let me see if I can help clarify.

A hard disk must first be partitioned. Once this is done, then the partition(s) must be formatted before you can use them

GUID Partition Table and Apple Partition Map (APM) are two disk partitioning methods supported by Disk Utility.

Apple HFS is a type of formatting.

Open Disk Utility, then select your external drive. At the bottom is should tell you the partitioning method.

13. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha! Looks like I figured that out just a few minutes too soon. Thanks for your help though. I'm fixing it now.

14. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

It appears that if I change it to Apple Partition Map, I can't have part of the hd in Fat 32 format. This is a problem because I use my external for my PowerBook and for 2 windows computers. My options are 4 different Mas OS Extended formats (which I know from a previous post that Windows doesn't recognize them), UNIX file system, and Free Space. So, my next question is if Windows can read UNIX file system format. I was hoping that there would be a way to have Fat 32 partition and a Mac OS Extended Journaled partiton so I can use it to back up my mac and use with my windows machines. But, I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.... (hopefully I used that correctly:D)