Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*QED*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I have been trying to get my Dell 2408 working in clamshell mode without any success. I have a USB keyboard, USB mouse, power adapter and monitor via DVI plugged in. I switch the display type to mirror, close the lid, wait for it to sleep, then wake it again by pressing a key on the keyboard.

The computer wakes, the external monitor flashes but at the incorrect resolution (1200 X 800 instead of 1920 X 1200) then goes back to sleep. This will repeat over and over again until I open the lid of the macbook. I can occasionally get the macbook to wake and display on the external monitor but this is very rare, and when it does I get some wired artifacts.

What's really puzzling is that the monitor works flawlessly in extended desktop mode, and works perfectly with other non mac computers. I took the macbook to the Genius Bar, hooked it up to the apple cinema displays and i didn't get the same problem! Grrr....

So I just don't get it, both the computer and display seemingly work fine independently from one another, work fine in extended mode, yet in clamshell mode have some fairly major issues.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone successfully using a dell 2408 with their macbook?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
What's really puzzling is that the monitor works flawlessly in extended desktop mode,

That's a good start. Now try what I do:

1. Set it in extented desktop mode, plug in all your keyboard and mouse, plug in ac.
2. Now unplug everything kb, mouse, and mini-display.
3. Close the lip, and let it sleep.

(wake up steps)
4. With ac still plugged in, and lid close, first plug in mini-display (MB should still stay asleep)
5. Now without opening lid, plug in mouse/kb (MB should wake up with lid closed, display off).

Report back if it works or not on yours.

lemonhk

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
That's a good start. Now try what I do:

1. Set it in extented desktop mode, plug in all your keyboard and mouse, plug in ac.
2. Now unplug everything kb, mouse, and mini-display.
3. Close the lip, and let it sleep.

(wake up steps)
4. With ac still plugged in, and lid close, first plug in mini-display (MB should still stay asleep)
5. Now without opening lid, plug in mouse/kb (MB should wake up with lid closed, display off).

Report back if it works or not on yours.

it wont help...
u will only know the problem if u get dell mon..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.