Can't get connected to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by derek1984, Mar 7, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I just bought the new Airport Extreme and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it set-up. I am trying to get my Dell desktop set-up so it can run on a G-network while next week I will be getting a Macbook Pro. Going by the directions, I think I have everything connected properly. I have 2 ethernet cables. 1 usb cable. My cable modem is plugged in and seems to be fine. I just can't get my Airport Extreme to start working. I have installed the disk that came with it as well. Could someone please help me out as to how I can get this thing working? Thanks

2. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

Make sure your PC is plugged into one of the network ports and not the WAN port.

What kind of ISP do you have? DSL, Cable?

Make sure you have the Airport Utility open and running on your PC and the Airport is on. It should have a yellow light on the front telling you that its not set up yet.

3. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick reply. I have cable. I know my IP address but no clue what my password is...Will that make any difference is setting this up? My PC should be plugged into one of the network ports, not a WAN? What should be connected to my modem? I can't get any lights to come on at all.

4. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

Your modem should be connected to the WAN port on the back of the Airport Base Station.

If you have the Airport Utility running on your PC, it should show the base station on the left column. It should be highlighted in blue to tell you that its the one your working on. In the main part of the window it should ask you if you want to set up the airport for the first time. You should have the options to continue with the set up or Manually make changes to the airport.

Also in this window it should display your Airport ID.

5. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

Check your power source and make sure the power brick in plugged in. If you don't get it to turn on after you have checked your power connections, you might have got a bad Airport or the power brick is bad.

6. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again....I have the airport extreme connected by the WAN port by ethernet to my modem. Nothing happens. I have installed the airport utility already and it says something like "can not detect any apple wireless devices". It prompts me to rescan. Still nothing happens. I have not been able to get a light on the Airport Extreme to come on since I've got it.

7. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

Sounds like you might have got a bad Airport. Its sad to say it, but sometimes things like this can happen. You should be able to take it back and get another one.

On a side note, I have mine plugged into a surge protected power strip to protect from lightning or the ocational power outage. If you have done the same as I have make your the power strip is on and the outlet that your plugged into on the strip is good. If that outlet on the power strip is not working right, replace the power strip. That can be a fire Hazard if not taken care of right away.

8. zorahk macrumors 6502

Make sure you actually plugged it into power.

9. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the good news was it was connected to a bad power brick. I changed it and now I have the light working. Now I was able to set it up but then it got confusing. I thought I had it but I can't get connected to the internet. I tried turning the power off my router and then back on, and still no internet. Now I can't even get it to recongnize my airport extreme anymore. The light is green but I can't change anything with it. I plan on calling Apple in the morning. Very frustrating and the directions make no sense to me at all. I don't know what the deal with this thing is but I don't think I've ever had something this complicated to install on a computer ever. Hopefully someone can help me over the phone tomorrow. Thanks for your guys help.

10. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Called Apple this morning. First time I ever had to call them since I am new to Apple products. Customer Service was top notch. My Airport Extreme works now! Thanks everyone for helping me out.