Can't get Crossover to work, kinda regretting getting a Mac now :(

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SurferMan, May 24, 2010.

1. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Wow this friggin computer is way more complicated than I expected, I loved it at first but more i play with it it just doesn't make sense when working around. I mean I can work my way around windows and programs and operating like nothing, a breeze. Yet I still can't figure out how to get Metatrader working on this mac? I tried wine and their tricks whatever, nothing, just stalls. So now i try Codeweavers since I see so many people saying they run MT4 perfectly and easily on it. Ok so download the trial, select file for mt4 to run/install and what do you know, it does the same thing as Wine, it stalls at "copying C:\users\crossover\desktop\mailbox\1190736044.english". All files is filled blue (full after progress).

This is really ticking me off, I've lost money on my account as I can't log in or do anything as I had trades running that I thought i'd be able to work on when i got this computer like same day as thats how easy everyone made it seem. over a week later and can't figure this damn thing out. I loved this computer at first now I'm hating it, can't believe all the custom stuff I can do on windows easily and yet I can't figure out how to get mt4 running on a programs that others say they use no problem. I emailed Codeweavers few times and they never responded. :mad:

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Use a virtual machine. I hate crossover. It rarely works.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. VirtualBox/VMware/Parallels and a copy of XP/7.

4. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

great.. now i can't even shutdown, I get this error "The application CrossOver canceled shut down. To try again, quit crossover and choose Apple menu > shut down."

well that doesn't work, I go to quit crossover and it does nothing and stays as is. I swear I'm ready to chuck this thing :mad:

I'm soooo regretting getting a Mac now :( , even skype doesn't work well, for business a group I'm on I can't even access it unless a new message was posted, if that means 4 days go by untill one does, I can't see untill then. On my pcs and even iphone I can go right to it and check anytime. My buddy said the same thing about skype on his mac too, wth...

5. aki macrumors 6502a

re Crossover - it's far from a fireandforget solution. It works well for some things, somewhat for other things, and not at all for yet other things. If you have Windows software you absolutely have to have working, and you aren't a hobbyist coder or something, you should install the app under Windows, either bootcamp or something like Parallels. (Ideally there would be a native OSX app for every purpose, but obviously that's not always the case.)

re Skype - I'm not exactly sure what your problem is, Skype runs well on OSX and more or less the same as the Windows client, at least for the features I've used (only the basic ones I must admit). Maybe I misunderstand you but is it because you closed the window/tabby thing for the group? The best way to keep track of groups, other than not closing the tabby thing, is to bookmark them; although from memory there is also a "Recent Groups" (or Chats or whatever the term is) menu option in there somewhere.

Hope you manage to figure it out. Hang in there!

6. Damo01 macrumors regular

You can or why not try/use bootcamp for using windows programs, ...if you have a intel machine that is...instead using virtual or wine. By the way Crossweavers is a commercial product of wine anyway. Not everything will work on wine/crossweavers as already aforementioned. Better off using bootcamp.

7. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Im gonna call codeweavers today and see what they say, I mean people said when crossover is installed you just choose windows app and it will run, and that metatrader worked perfectly on it, so not sure what's going on? ...... About skype, like a biz group I'm on, the creator of the group I have him as a friend obviously lol, but the biz group only comes up to select when a post is done (as it comes up as a missed MSG). On my pc's and even iPhone it has the creator and right under that the group so I can go into it any time and post or read etc. My buddy said the samething on his Mac that he can't access any of his groups unless something was posted.

8. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Never heard back from codeweavers, had sent previous emails too and never got a response. I found a post from a codeweavers rep in response to a question about the mt4 platform from the same company my account is with, that said crossover mac works flawlessly with mt4.... WTF ughhh. I have vista I can install but don't want to flip back and forth booting.

9. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Its been said earlier but why not use Fusion or Parallels - no rebooting required

10. aki macrumors 6502a

yes as above, if:

you dont want to boot back and forth btw windows and osx (very reasonably if you just need the one app)

you dont want to muck about with settings and stuff in crossover (again, very reasonably)

then i think the best solution is to install fusion or parallels (for money), or (i think it's called?) virtualbox, which is a freely available version of more or less the same thing which (i am told) works well enough. then you can run windows vista and your windows app/s in a window on your osx desktop, no rebooting etc required

for myself, just to distinguish what I've heard or believe, from what I actually know, I run windows 7 under bootcamp (works same as a "real PC", obviously), and I run windows 7 and windows XP under Parallels 5 (which again works the same as a "real PC", if slower - for any basic business type app tho as distinct from 3d graphics or whatever, that won't be an issue).

Again, I realize this probably isn't an option in your case, but wherever possible, it's just a lot less work if you can find an OSX app for whatever you are trying to do. Well, that, or decide to "live in Windows"/bootcamp, which is what some people do.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I hate Crossover, got the free copy awhile ago, but always found it a pain to load apps onto.

12. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll look into virtual box if that's free, hate to spend more money after the ******** I spent last two weeks with biz lol, funny how another 60 bucks is like nothing but makes me cringe at the same time haha. I don't like vista but I have a free cd with serial I can use, and I guess use virtual box, all I care about is that mt4 platform, not games or anything. I'm just wayyyyy to use to windows lol.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

so let me get this straight. you bought a new computer, assumed you could use crossover as it "runs" executables, and thought that it would work?

did you do any research??!

crossover is NOT a windows solution - its supported software is limited to approved software only, which yours clearly isnt.

use either bootcamp or a virtualisation software suite - which will likely perform better anyway.

dont mean to be rude - just do your research first :)

14. aki macrumors 6502a

well to be fair, he did say that people had told him the app he wanted worked with crossover

but yes if anyone fresh from windows-land comes to macrumors and says "hey should i buy a mac and crossover to run this app?" the answer from all corners would probably be "nooooooooo"

anyway hopefully he'll sort it out

15. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

never trust anybody wrt software recommendations... but yea, i hope that he does sort it out. :)

17. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

In the OP's defense, I could imagine some of the replies he got on this message board when asking questions about switching to Mac. This doesn't reflect everyone, but there is a group of users here who are absolute eccentrics.

I've seen many threads where someone will ask if they can easily switch to mac and use software 'x' & 'y'. Some people reply with thoughtful responses, listing the pros and cons and different scenarios. Unfortunately, many simply blurt out "OMG yes, the mac will do everything for you automatically, windoze is terrible" (not an exact quote, actual spelling, grammar and logic may be worse :p). Obviously some of us understand what is involved in switching platforms, but others may have no idea and need guidance.

18. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Thought i would update but still can't get this figured out, I think its funny how I can work my way around windows no problem and do custom stuff, but can't for the life of me get this to work on a friggen Mac. But yeh I researched before and found plenty of info of people saying MT4 can be run easily by doing this or that, well I've done this or that and nothing works, and have msg'd people but never heard back. I'm trying Wine Bottler and on Kronenberg said to use vcrun6 file from prefixes, did that, and this time it installed finally but still won't work, says mfc42.dll is missing or something like that. I feel like I'm ready to smash this dang thing as it feels like nothing but a paper weight now. I'm going to have to wait till I get home from biz to have my friend install windows 7 and and try a program(s) like virtual box etc to run and see if it works. This is ridiculous :( . I gave up on Codeweavers plus their a POS company they never responded to one email before or after.

Just going to pry have to buy another laptop, pry an Envy but i was waiting for a gen III 15" with backlit keys.

19. Keleko macrumors 68000

Using Crossover is for the computer hacking/tinkering friendly crowd. If you don't know what those kind of errors mean, then Crossover is not for you. That said, if you Google for mfc42.dll you should be find out how to install that file.

20. aki macrumors 6502a

Yeah look seriously at the risk of repeating not just other posters but also myself - you really really started at the wrong end with Crossover.

It's just not a fireandforget solution, entirely antithetical to the "Apple experience" ;)

21. pinsrw macrumors regular

You could just replace OS/X entirely with Windows, if you have a copy. I bought XP Pro from Newegg for $120 a while back.

22. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Rather not, I like the quick load up/shut down and majority of use of os/x, it's mainly just getting this one program running lol. Mike (kronenberg) is helping me with his winebottler program as he uses mt4 on it as well, going to see why I'm having trouble getting it to run. Worst case I'll just have my buddy install win 7 and run a vm if I have to but rather avoid that as its only this program I'm trying to use, don't care about gaming or anything.