Can't get DVD-VCD-CD to play

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by star555, Jun 9, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

Just starting to play with my new iMac 24 inch 2.8 . when I insert any VCD-DVD-CD it shows a desktop icon of the disk , and when I click the icon , it shows a window and the disk files, I can't seem to get any thing to open automatically and play..? , is there a way that when I insert a VCD-DVD- CD , it will automatically play ..?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

A video DVD will automatically open DVD player and start playing, an Audio CD will open iTunes.

Check in your System Preferences under CD's and DVD's and see what the default settings are.

3. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Chundles , Thanks for that now the DVD's and the CD's
    start up automatically :) , but my collection of VCD's
    ( VideoCD) do not start up automatically, and I can't see a setting in System Preferences for VCD's .. any Ideas how I can get them to start up automatically please.

Thanks

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nah, VCDs are another kettle of fish. They were sort of the bastard child of DVD and CD and as such aren't supported in OSX natively.

VLC (free application) will play them and pretty much every other video format but there's no way to make them auto-play. They won't work in Front Row and Handbrake won't recognise them to rip to an iPod.

5. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again Chundles , this iMac came with VLC pre installed , when I launch VLC , and drag the VCD icon into the VLC window, the VCD is shown in the window as VIDEOCD. but I then cant get it to play ..? , but the VCD I am trying to play on my iMac pays Ok on a stand alone VDC player I have, so I know the disk is ok, any ideas what I have to do to get VLC to play the VCD, when the only thing I can see on screen is the VDC icon ..?

Thanks

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Drag the VCD icon into the VLC player window then hit the play button.

7. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I opened VLC , dragged the VCD desktop icon into the VLC player window , hit Play then the small bar at the top of the VLC window changed and said .. Volume 100 %
    and nothing then happened ..? I then doubled clicked on the VIDEOCD line in the VLC window , and a pop up box came onto the screen saying that the application VLC had unexpectedly quit , would I like to relaunch / ignor it .
    now this has got me puzzled :(