Can't get EndNote to integrate with MS Word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boris A, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Boris A macrumors member

So i've got the latest versions of EndNote X4 (4.0.2), Office for Mac 2011, and Pages. All this on 10.6.8 that is also fully updated.

Now, a few integration questions.

1. I cannot get EndNote to fully integrate with Word. I have followed the instructions presented on EndNote's website about copying a bundle into Word's application directory, after the initial installation yielded no result. Even this measure, replacing the existing bundle with the one present in EndNote's application folder, led to nothing.

As I was instructed, I went to the File Locations tab in Word Preferences and re-routed the Startup line with the correct location of the bundle. This has also had no effect on anything whatsoever.

Basically the EndNote tab that I'm supposed to be seeing in Word does not show up under any circumstances. The options in the menubar while in Word also have no EndNote references in them.

The EndNote application itself is working fine, but cannot paste anything into Word.

There's also a weird symptom. Now, every time I quit word, I get an error message stating "Word could not fire event". I can then click OK and Word quits.

2. Integration with Pages seems to have succeeded. Not sure about the details – am I not supposed to get some sort of EndNote button? Right now I only have options in the menu bar that refer to EndNote compatibility. Functionality appears severely limited in comparison to what I've seen EndNote do with Word in Windows.

In any case, I can't figure out a way to properly use the EndNote application with Pages.

3. How is EndNote's Lion compatibility? Will this stuff break (even more?) once I upgrade?

2. amw macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem

Did you get any resolution to this?

3. Boris A thread starter macrumors member

4. HabSonic macrumors regular

Word default directory for plugins is wrong, you need to change it.

Word preferences, then:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Startup files. If I remember correctly, there's no directory by default.

It should be: Application --> Microsoft Office 2011 --> Office --> Startup --> Word

If Endnote plugin is not in this folder, you need to paste it.

5. iftee macrumors newbie

Using Endnote with Word 2011 Mac

The above screen shots by HabSonic are very helpful

1. Open Word
    2. Go to preferences
    3. Choose ''File Location'
    4. In File Location - click on "Startup" and double click it.
    5. The 'Choose folder window will open - on the left side pane click on 'Application' and then in the right side pane click on 'Endnote' - this will open all the folders within the 'Endnote' including 'Cite while you write folder', click on this later folder and its content will be added to word.
    6. Click on "Modify" and press 'OK' to close the preferences
    7. Now click on "Tool" on the Word menu and choose "Templates and Add-Ins..." and click on all the add-ins starting with Endnote.
    8. For the Integration to work, you need to have the word and endnote library open together, thereafter you can switch between the two as you would on a windows computer.

6. aoaaron macrumors 6502

i have got the bar but the formatting of my references is wrong.. it shows as:

(Adler, Krüger et al. 2011)

Adler, U. C., S. Krüger, et al. (2011). "Homeopathy for Depression - DEP-HOM: study protocol for a randomized, partially double-blind, placebo controlled, four armed study." Trials 12(1): 43-49.
    Background: Homeopathy is often sought by patients with depression. In classical homeopathy, the treatment consists of two main elements: the case history and the prescription of an individually selected homeopathic remedy. Previous data suggest that individualized homeopathic Q-potencies were not inferior to the antidepressant fluoxetine in a sample of patients with moderate to severe depression. However, the question remains whether individualized homeopathic Q-potencies and/or the type of the homeopathic case history have a specific therapeutical effect in acute depression as this has not yet been investigated. The study aims to assess the two components of individualized homeopathic treatment for acute depression, i.e., to investigate the specific effect of individualized Q-potencies versus placebo and to investigate the effect of different approaches to the homeopathic case history. Methods/Design: A randomized, partially double-blind, placebo-controlled, four-armed trial using a 2 √ó 2 factorial design with a six-week study duration per patient will be performed. 228 patients diagnosed with major depression (moderate episode) by a psychiatrist will be included. The primary endpoint is the total score on the 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale after six weeks. Secondary end points are: Hamilton Depression Rating Scale total score after two and four weeks; response and remission rates, Beck Depression inventory total score, quality of life and safety at two, four and six weeks. Statistical analyses will be by intention-to-treat. The main endpoint will be analysed by a two-factorial analysis of covariance. Within this model generalized estimation equations will be used to estimate differences between verum and placebo, and between both types of case history. Discussion: For the first time this study evaluates both the specific effect of homeopathic medicines and of a homeopathic case taking in patients with depression. It is an attempt to deal with the challenges of homeopathic research and the results might be useful information in the current discussion about the evidence on homeopathy Trial registration: ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT01178255 [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
    Copyright of Trials is the property of BioMed Central and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)