Can't Get Headphones' Mic To Work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Glink, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Glink, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

Glink macrumors newbie

Hello, I want to use a headphone set with a mic attached for my mac or PC. I found out that I would need a splitter for the microphone for it to work for my PC, and my Mac only pics up input form the microphone in skype or vent (only picks up built-in mic for garage band).

Anyways so i bought this product off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200681506125?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

For the splitter, but it still doesn't work.

I plug the splitter into my audio input port, then plug my headphones into one of its ends (has 2 ports). On my PC, both my apple headphones and the ones bought from ebay show up as microphones and everything, except they don't pick up sound (and I checked settings, everything is on and such).

On my Macbook, neither show up a microphones.

Can someone help? I'm pretty sure the splitter isnt broken or anything, like I said for my PC it shows a microphone on my audio devices, but does not pick up any sound.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You can check around, but I think you can only use the mini jack port for either input or output, not both, even with a splitter. At least on a Macbook. And I believe it's a line-in, not a mic port.

You'd probably be better off with a USB headset.

Rob