Can't get internet on New Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mozzalicious, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Mozzalicious macrumors member

So I'm sorry if this description is horrid, I could take pictures of the screens I'll be describing if that'll help. Also sorry for the length and the fact that I know very little about computers.

Anyway, I've had my MacBook Air (idk its' operating system, it's a 2011 Intel Core i5) for about 20 minutes now and I ran through all the standard set-up like account and password, language, time zone, etc and for the internet part I set it up with our network (we use a motem/router whatever; provider is Frontier if that helps) but apparently that was for WiFi, which is different from a network connection I think, but not sure.

Anyway, I went to go on Safari and it says I'm not connected to the internet so I went to diagnose network problems and it shows on the left hand side I'm connected (or theres a green light) for Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi settings, Network Settings, and ISP, but it says Failed with a red light for internet and server (here-in lies the problem I believe). So to the right it has this choose network port configuration thing and it's automatically selected for wi-fi (which is weird cause its a light-gray like shaded out color and if I click away to something not shaded out I cant click back. But anyway, I click continue and it then it has me select the network I'd like to join again so I join the network for our motem and put in the WPA password and it do you use a DSL or cable modem to connect to the internet so i say yes and it says to restart it. Then it says are there any firewalls, managed switches, etc between that device and this computer and I dont think there are as my xbox can disconnect from the network, find it again and access it with just the WPA password (I mean I suppose a firewall could restrict the Mac's IP and not the Xbox, but idk, i don't think so, correct me if I'm wrong). But I also tried hitting yes for that and it's like well restart them and I'm like uh how do you even restart a managed switch IF we even have one and a firewall, but again I'm pretty sure we don't.

So, I go to system preferences and click Network which displays on the left Wi-Fi or Bluetooth Pan and only the Wifi has a green light and the box is in blue so obviously it's selected and what we're working under and it says connected (you can click to turn WiFi off too) it will also let you change your network, but that wont help me (and i did try selecting my network again through here) So, I'm guessing maybe when I set up the computer initially I selected Wi-Fi connection instead of a DNS connection and now I cant set it up for a regular motem. But I really hope that's not the problem -_-

I'm also incredibly irate because so far as I know, wifi gives you access to the internet (at least for other devices I've used it's been able to and otherwise how would people use laptops in cafes) but my Mac cant use the WiFi network it's hooked up to to access the internet. Unless my network/motem just cant provide WiFi, in which case its Frontier's fault not my Mac/Apple's. To close it off, I'm 70% sad and 30% angry and I'm hoping there's someone here who'll be able to help ^^

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

in the network settings screen, click on the advanced button, the on the TCP/IP tab. What do you see for IPv4 address and router? Now click Renew DHCP lease and see if those addresses have changed, if so, what are they now.

3. Mozzalicious, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

Mozzalicious thread starter macrumors member

Before-
    IPv4: 192.168.254.142
    Router: 192.168.254.254

After-
    IPv4: 192.168.254.238
    Router: 192.168.254.254

Also, I forgot to mention this is my first Mac xD Just a general detail

And going forward, is there any danger in releasing this information?

4. ScoobyMcDoo, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

No danger in the info you released.

Do you have any other computers on the network which do connect to the internet ok? If so, can you find out what their IP address and router are? Router should be the same, the first 3 octets of the IP address should be the same as your mac.

It looks to me like your WIFI router is giving you an IP address as it should. But what are telling me is that you can't get past the router, out to the internet. You might give your ISP a call to see if they can help.

I wonder if you are just having DNS issues. in that advanced networking dialog, click on the DNS tab. On the left side at the bottom, click on the '+'. Then type in 8.8.8.8 (this is a google provided DNS). Click apply, or ok or whatever to take the change and get out of the networking settings. Then open up safari and see if it works.

5. Mozzalicious thread starter macrumors member

So I tried that last suggestion with the google DNS and when I went to close out it was all like would you like to apply your changes before you exit the network preferences thing and I applied, then started up Safari and it worked! But, I never applied the changes myself when I got the new DHCP lease and IP address so I suppose that could've fixed it as well, but only when I had applied it.

Anyway, thank you so much!!!!! You have been amazingly helpful. Sorry for the hassle. But you sir, or miss, deserve a medal :)