Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
My parents upgraded their Iphone 5 to 9.3. After it loaded they were not able to go any further until they entered their apple ID and password. Unfortunately, they have no idea what their password is. They went to send an email so that they could change their password, however the email connected to their Apple ID has been inactive for the last few years. So they have no ability to get into the email address that Apple has on file to get the new password. Is there anything they can do? Is there a way to change the email address to a new one they now have? Thanks for any input!!!

Sonnto

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Toronto, ON
I do not think there is much you can do, but hopefully someone else can chime in. From what I know, you're locked out for good.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
They should have a warning (if they don't already and I haven't noticed it). Or prompt you for your iCloud password to be able to update so this can't happen. As mentioned, as far as I know you are locked out. Call Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.