Can't get into Single User Mode (Cmd-S)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bill P., Sep 24, 2007.

1. Bill P. macrumors regular

Some weeks ago I entered Single User mode and then entered a string of characters suggested by MacFixit as a routine maintenance item. I can't recall what it was and should have made a note of it.

Now, for some reason, I'm unable to enter Single User mode. Holding down cmd-S isn't working (I get the usual start-up instead). My thoughts are that the MacFixit entry that I made must have scrambled something, or I simply screwed up. I want to be able to enter Single User mode and cannot. Is there a way I can do this, perhaps using Terminal App? Can I somehow reset everything back to the default settings?

Thanks for the help,

Bill

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of Mac do you have? Can you boot from an OSX disc?

3. thegrifman macrumors regular

If you have a boot password setup you can't enter single-user mode, you'll need to disable that before you try it. If you're unsure whether or not you have a boot password, just hold down the Option key when booting to go into Target Disk Mode and if you have a password set, it'll ask you for it.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Technically booting whist holding OPTION gives you a list of bootable devices, whereas booting holding T gets you into Target Disk Mode. :eek:

5. boogiequeen macrumors newbie

is there any way to enter single user mode with a boot password already in place and not knowing it??? Is there any way i can change the boot password????