Can't get iPad/iPhone updates in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jdylan, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

Hey all,

I'm on a small military base in Afghanistan, and the internet here is real crap. The max download speed is 12.8 kbps, takes forever to get anything. iTunes is the real problem, for some reason it keeps disconnecting and/or is real slow. I can download something in uTorrent at 12.8 kbps, but in iTunes it downloads at about 3 or 4. Great, no? All this for $100 a month with ioGlobal.

To top it off, the internet here seems to "reset" every couple of hours, disconnecting everyone. In uTorrent this isn't a problem, as you don't lose anything, but in iTunes, it cancels the download and you lose everything.

Anyway, can someone please upload the latest iphone/ipad updates to Piratebay or some other torrent site for those of us in the backwoods?

Or is there some site I can go to that has them, which might be better than iTunes?

Thanks!
    JD

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Have you tried e-mailing Steve Jobs directly?

It might be good PR for Apple to do something for service people off-shore "protecting" America.

3. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

Yeah...

I'd rather he worry about other things more important than some dude in a desert trying to update his iPhone software.

4. alexbmar macrumors newbie

Try downloading directly from the Apple website instead of iTunes. i would turn off other programs and let it run over night. Also, try the $70 IO-Global instead of the $100 package. The down load speed is the same between the two, just the upload speed is better for the $100 package.

If this doesn't work, try going to the MWR (faster internet connection) and download form the Apple website directly on a thumb-stick. I had to do that for Snow Leopard's bigger updates.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

iClarified usually has links to all the firmware downloads.

6. msavwah macrumors 6502

Find the source URL, ask a local in the market to burn it to a disc, or get someone in the TOC to help, they probably have a better connection.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

That all depends on how strict they are about what you download on government computers. But I think that is the best option. Find a buddy in the TOC and see if they can't complete the update for you. We were lucky enough to have a stable satellite connection in Iraq and only had connectivity issues about once a month or when bad sandstorms came through.

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Not necessarily. Our BC has a government issue MBP (which I think he said he's kind of a test subject with it). I would love to see more Apple support for military use. Mainly compatibility with all the windows programs we use.

9. Factor1 macrumors member

If the San Francisco Herald is protecting us, we may be in trouble!:D

I would suggest your Public Affairs / VIP connections, they usually have a better connection and a little more leeway on what they can and can't view/download.

Best of luck to you and stay safe!

10. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

11. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hey jdylan,

I was over on Arifjan in Kuwait. I might have a way to help you out. Two ways in fact. I am in Germany but if you can give me a day or so, I can PM you the details. I feel your pain bro. I am looking out for you dude.

Be safe.

12. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

Where are you at?

13. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

Steve's not the one getting shot at, dude. :D

14. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Stuttgart just for the night. Heading back to Finland in the morning.

15. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hey dude. I have a solution ready for you if you are still in need.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If it involves either
    1)flying home for the weekend
    2)walking up to the Taliban with ''i'll surrender for DSL' scribbled on a white iPad screen
    I don't think it will work ;)

But in all seriousness good luck.