Can't get laptop to work with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rchampion, Feb 17, 2009.

1. rchampion macrumors newbie

My girlfriend just moved into a new apartment where her roommate has the wireless network set up through a time capsule as the router. She was issued a IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad from work, and she wants to be able to use it at home to do work at night.

The Thinkpad can see the network, but it won't allow her to connect to it. It doesn't even prompt for a password. From the information that is displayed about the network, it looks as if it is only sending out an 802.11n signal. The only thing I can think of that would prohibit her from accessing the network is that the Thinkpad can't use the 802.11n standard?

How can I find out what wireless standards the Thinkpad can use? Also, I tried to use my MBP to configure the Time Capsule with Airport Utility, but I didn't know the password and her roommate said he doesn't remember it (I know the password for the network, just not the TC itself). If I end up resetting the TC from the button on the back, will he lose any data saved on the TC?

Any help is appreciated!

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

More than likely the TCis set to only use N on 5ghz freq. And your GF's IBM doesnt have N. Try plugging in your MBP via Ethernet cable to TC and change the setting of TCso that it's backward compatible to B/G and see if your GF's IBM can connect. Also make a note of the security of the WiFi such as WEP or WPA.

3. rchampion thread starter macrumors newbie