Can't get MBP to boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klgiger, Jun 11, 2011.

1. klgiger macrumors newbie

I am having problems getting a MBP to boot. I have tried a bunch of the posts on this site with different but similar issues but nothing seems to work. Taking it to apple is not something I can do so I am trying to resolve it myself.

I have also taken it apart and checked everything inside looks ok. Checked ram to make sure original apple ram removed one at a time and tried them in the different slots. I had extra ram I borrowed from a working machine and that didn't make difference. Reset it many times.

What happens is at boot you can hear the fans kick on and led comes on and not flashing or anything. So then it sits there with nothing on the screen. Now I would think if the computer was booting and just the screen not working then hitting the caps lock would make the light come on. Or eject disk would work. The power button comes on. but caps lock doesn't light. I put in original disk to try to boot from that I hear the disk spin but nothing happens.

I am unsure what the issue is. So if it was screen related wouldn't it boot to where caps lock would work? Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance!

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It is probably some sort of logic board failure. This is an umbrella term for "I have no idea what it is but a $700 part will fix it."

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

When you put the OS DVD in the drive are you holding the 'alt' key when you hit the power button? Thats needed to bring up the boot options menu.

4. klgiger thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thanks but didnt make a difference

5. couto27 macrumors 6502

open it , remove hard drive, put another one or
    test you hd in another computer.