Can't get MKV file to work, help please!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cralfinsam, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Cralfinsam macrumors newbie

Cralfinsam

I have an MKV file. In QuickTime, the video plays perfectly but with no sound. In VLC, the sound plays perfectly, but the video is all grey and pixelated. What do I do?

I checked the movie properties in QuickTime. It says the video format is H.264 and the audio format is "DTS Coherent Acoustics (Perian)", if that helps at all.

2. Mactasia macrumors member

Mactasia

3. simsaladimbamba

What about using Movist or VLC Player or any of the other players out there?

4. Mactasia macrumors member

Mactasia

Considering he said he tried VLC... i'm guessing Perian will solve his issue.

5. scriptysandy macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue and I just installed Perian and that didn't help anything. I haven't been able to use Quicktime for a while now and even though I have reinstalled it, it still won't open any movies, I just get a small black screen with nothing in it.

For me, in VLC, the file opens fine and there is sound but the screen is grey most of the time with the image popping in and out extremely pixelated.

It opens in DivX fine but with no sound. I tried installing a direct show decoder as they suggested but it didn't change the situation.

I have no idea what to do next.

6. simsaladimbamba

Tried Movist yet?

7. scriptysandy macrumors newbie

THANK YOU!!! This works perfectly!!!

8. rtcollis macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a similar problem. Have a MKV DTS file that plays great in VLC but am looking to convert to MV4 to play on apple TV2/iPhone 4. I've found Handbrake to produce audio errors when re-encoding, so would prefer to use Quicktime Pro/Perian/Subler to convert the audio and repackage the file.

When opening the original file in Quicktime with Perian, I'm getting static sound (image is fine). Converting to AAC in Quicktime Pro doesn't produce a usable file that can be combined with the original MKV file in Subler for conversion to .M4V
    Any ideas? Thanks

9. emmgunn macrumors member

The problem could be header removal compression.

10. msmit macrumors newbie

Download Vuze

Vuze has re-encoding. Add your MKV to the library, then drag it into iTunes on the left hand side and it will re-encode to mp4... works on every file for me so far!