Can't get off public beta

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by ajaan, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ajaan macrumors member

I was a public beta tester. Took my computer off beta updates after the GM version. Installed the normal version of Sierra on release day.

This morning I woke up and my computer has restarted, and without asking has installed 10.12.1 public beta. This was kind of annoying because I had a lot of applications and tabs open and not all reopened.

I checked preferences etc and I'm not on beta updates.

Any ideas about how to get off the beta treadmill?

2. Axe991 macrumors newbie

Axe991

I have a slightly different problem. The latest beta is downloaded and always prompts me to update, but I had already removed the "download latest beta" option from the app store settings. How can I delete the downloaded update and stop the system from downloading it again?

3. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

To set your Software Update catalog back to the default public Software Update catalog, instead of the beta catalog, type the following in your Terminal app and hit the return key:

softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Then, just delete that update installer from wherever it is located on your hard drive. Your machine should not download it again, and the beta entries should disappear from your App Store app, I believe.

4. Axe991 macrumors newbie

Axe991

Perfect! Thank you! :)

5. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

You are welcome.

Now, don't forget to type that command in a text file and save it on your computer somewhere in a safe place for future reference. :)