Can't get old Apple Airport Express to join network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cougarcat, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Cougarcat, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

Cougarcat macrumors 604

I have an old airport express (g) I want to join the network just for wireless printing purposes. Because Apple is Apple, I downloaded the old AirPort Utility and a script to get the thing to run in Yosemite. But no networks are present to join, and if I type in the name and security manually, it will restart but not appear again until I reset it.

Edit: "Solved" it by making it ethernet-only and connecting it directly to the router. Printing works.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In the future, try doing a full reset of it and re-configuring it in AirPort Utility. Just a side note, as of 10.10.3 or so, that 5.6.1 version of AirPort Utility has been having issues even with the launcher. Some ways around this are to use a Mac with 10.5-10.9 or a Windows PC running at least Windows 7.

3. Cougarcat thread starter macrumors 604

Yeah, I had to do a hard reset and re-configure every time I configured it to join the wifi to get it to come back up.

I wonder why Apple is so reluctant to add support for the older devices in the new Airport Utility. It can't be that hard. Routers should last forever. At the very least, they should issue an update to keep the old one working.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I agree on your point! It could of been the fact that utility was busted under Yosemite and not properly writing the settings to the firmware.