Can't get optical audio out of my macbook, help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newConvert, Jun 1, 2009.

1. newConvert macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I will be forever in someones debt if they can figure this out for me, as I am and my wits end!

I'm trying to play videos through my macbook (with mini dvi + optical)

I've checked the midi player settings and under system preferences it says optical output etc. etc.. there IS light coming out of the end of the optical cable (from monoprice)

However no signal is getting to my amp, I've trippled checked all the settings on the amp (we'll say 99% sure everything is correct ;))

Any tips/tricks? Did a bunch of research but couldn't find anything that helped.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

What "videos" are you trying to play? What program are you using to play them? What is the audio encoding?

I know you mentioned the Audio MIDI setup but in System Preferences > Sound > Output what does it say exactly and what is selected?

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

What equipment are you sending the signal into? Could you describe the whole chain?

4. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the lack of info! Here is some more details

Files I've tried:
    - DVD through the dvd player app
    - MKV through VLC
    - AVI through VLC
    - AVI through quicktime

The entire chain goes like this

Macbook mini dvi -> hdmi -> Denon 888 amp (for video, which works)
    Macbook optical out -> optical input on the Denon amp

There IS light coming out of the optical cord, but I am getting zero signal to the amp.

I can't remember the exact phrasing from the sound output section (I'm at work at the moment) but it was along the lines of "optical output"

kinda stumped on this.

5. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

just got back and noticed that even with nothing in there is always the red optical light on in the port.... From the research I've done it should not be on all the time?

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I'm not sure what to say apart from double check with the manual. With all the inputs and settings that thing has, the answer could be somewhat buried within the menus.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Does your amp recognize data from other sources? Are you sure you have the amp configured properly? I'm sort of at a loss to explain what could be going on in your case as well.

8. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose the other "issue" (although not a huge deal) is that the screen does not fill up my entire tv.... I have black bars on the side, and the top is slightly cut off.... FYI I have a 50" kuro if that makes a difference. Thanks again, i'll fiddle with it and see what I can get going.