Can't get past bootcamp Windows logo-- Windows 7 x64

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cksubs, May 10, 2010.

1. cksubs macrumors member

Hi, I had a fine install of Windows 7 alongside Snow Leopard.

I had a power outage, and Windows restarted. It started hanging at the grayscale "Windows logo" (squares) that comes up after picking the Windows drive from the bootcamp loader (instead of the Mac outline when OS X loads).

I think this happened once before, and installing rEFIt helped. I did that, but it continued to hang at the same point.

I finally got fed up with it and erased the Windows partition via Disk Utility. I then reinstalled Windows 7 x64 from DVD to the fresh partition.

Seemed fine. Ran Windows Update then restarted. FFFFFFFFF. Hangs in the same place.

What can I do? Like I said, I already have rEFIt installed. Booting the Windows 7 install CD results in the same infinite loading error. I don't have a spare Snow Leopard disk handy.

2. MacBookDan macrumors member

Seeing as the problem happened again after Windows updates would make me assume it was the culprit. Try safe mode? If you can get that far.

3. cksubs thread starter macrumors member

I definitely can't boot to safe mode... once I select the Windows drive/partition to boot (either from the "hold option" boot camp menu or the rEFIt menu) the grayscale Windows logo comes up and everything freezes.

4. cksubs thread starter macrumors member

Additionally I can't boot the Windows 7 installation disk any more at all. Either from the onboard drive or a USB DVD drive. I've repaired the hard drive via a Leopard install disk, and I think it should be working... but I can't boot into the Windows install disk to reinstall. What is wrong?

5. cksubs thread starter macrumors member

I loaded up a bootable USB drive to try that. Shows up in rEFIt and the Apple boot screen. Once selected, it flashes for a few seconds then goes blank (which means it's not being accessed). Same frozen screen as using a DVD.

6. cksubs thread starter macrumors member

How strange. It seems like some combination of unplugging the power for 10 minutes, removing the battery, and unplugging my USB hub (keyboard and mouse) and DVI monitor makes the computer want to boot the Windows installation. Sweet.