Can't get past the account login screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by garyrudnicki, Mar 18, 2009.

1. garyrudnicki macrumors newbie

I have a one year old imac with three accounts set up on it. Suddenly yesterday my main account (the administrator) allows me to enter an ID and password but after a few seconds, comes back to the account login screen. I can log in via either of my kids' accounts but I can't get in through my account. Unfortunately, all of my photos and music are set up under my account.

I had just downloaded the latest updates to OS X without a problem prior to this happening.

Any ideas? I haven't installed any software in the last six months other than what is provided in the automatic mac updates. I really don't want to reinstall the OS.

I've rebooted several times but have had no luck over the last two days.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could reset the password with the install DVDs via this method: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274

Even if you're forced to reinstall, no data gets lost if you choose Archive & Install during the setup process.

3. TTTT macrumors newbie

Try using Disk Utility to repair permission on your mac.

You can do this by inserting the System Restore DVD then using System Preferences>Start Up Disk to set the DVD as the start up disk.

Restart your mac using the installer DVD as the boot disk, when the installer comes up don't run it, instead select Disk Utility from the top left menu. In Disk utiltiy select your mac's drive or drives will appear on a list on the left, select the drive with the system on it, click the First Aid button and then select Repair Permissions on this disk.

When this process is finished you can quit Disk Utility and change back the Startup Disk from the same menu list where you selected Disk Utility. Restart your mac and try logging in.

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Have you done a cold reboot? Sometimes this helps as opposed to just rebooting.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+1, that will do it. Scroll down to the section about booting from the original install DVD and follow the instructions. A reinstall is NOT necessary.

Cheers,