Can't get PS3 to display on 24" Dell

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Bogie, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Bogie macrumors regular

I have my Ps3 hooked up to my 24" Dell via component cables and I did the system reset which should have switched to component, but I can't get any picture. I tested the cable on a TV in the living room to make sure it wasn't bad, but it all worked fine there. Any ideas? I'd really like to get this working and I don't want to spend any more money.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If you can set it up on a tv in the other room, just do that, and then plug the component into the dell. It should work, I know I got it to work on my 2407fpw through component, but must admit I thought the picture quality was dire so if I use that monitor I stick to hdmi-dvi

3. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's exactly what I did and the monitor says there's no signal coming in.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

mmm... weird. Afraid I don't have any more solutions to profer.

5. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

It stinks because I've been in contact with Dell Customer support three times now and this monitor is even under warranty but so far they've been zero help.

6. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

has the Dell display HDCP, Or High Bandwith Digital Copyright Protection?

There is another topic somewhere on the forum about this already
    basically it means that your monitor needs a DVI input which contains a certain chip that protects the data coming from the HDMI of the playstation (so that you can't stream the video to e.g. a recorder)

If you don't have HDCP, you can't playback HDMI coming from the PS3

sadly enough

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ utterly irrelevant as we are not talking HDMI, we are talking about component output.

The dell 24" should be able to playback via component (and just for your comfort but no use in this scenario is HDCP compliant on its DVI)

8. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I can get a signal with a composite cable, but since that's analogue too, I'm leaning towards the conclusion that my components inputs don't work. Dell is still being impossible.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

a HDMI to DVI connection still requires HDCP.

Component doesn't require HDCP but limits you to 1080i as the max resolution for both games and Movies, it also will not let you upscale DVD's.

Ed

10. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

My Bad, sorry for that

11. decadentdave macrumors 6502

Yes, the maximum resolution output for a PS3 through component is 1080i because of HDCP restriction that prohibits native 1080p with non-HDCP compliant HDMI or DVI devices. Apple displays are non-HDCP compliant. I'm having the same problem.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's not the same problem :rolleyes:

How many more times...

The Dell 24" IS HDCP COMPLIANT

But that is meaningless as it has nothing to do with the OP's problem of getting a basic signal out of the PS3's component output - Dell 24" component input.

He has a component problem, not a HDMI HDCP problem.

OP... if your still there. You should be able to get a 480p/720p/1080i signal through your component onto your Dell 24". The fact you still can not suggest that somthing else has gone array.

Before contacting Dell. Try one last thing. Swap the green & blue connector and see if that gives you any picture. If still no luck, get onto Dell and have the monitor replaced.

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

OP, try also to plug it in via composite, go to the System Settings, set it to Component and your resolution, then swap it with the component cables.

14. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I tried both of those things and no luck. I wish there were some way I could talk to an American rather than being routed to India every time. They don't even understand what I'm trying to communicate and inevitably they put me on hold to "look for a solution to (my) problem" only to come back on and transfer me to another department who does the exact same thing.

I'm never doing business with Dell again. Apple gave me solid customer service, Kensington gave me amazing customer service (replaced a broken keyboard no questions asked). Dell? Worst company I've ever dealt with. They haven't even replied to my email I sent two days ago.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sometimes you have to reset these monitors by actually unplugging it from the power.

Then, with your PS3 on and hooked up via component, plug the monitor in and turn it on so that it can detect a signal coming into the component jack.

Hope this helps.

If not - feel free to ask for help here:

http://www.ihatedell.net

The US ex-Dell employees and some of the current employees that post here are more helpful than the ones in Dhelli India...

16. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I picked up a PS3 about a week ago and out of the box connected to a 2407WFP via component with no problems. The monitor is a revision A03, the cables are the $20 Sony component cables, and the PS3 is the 80GB model.

Have you tried any other devices via component with your 2407WFP? If no other devices work, I'd suggest calling support and with little detail, simply stating that the component connections simply do not work. When dealing with outsourced support, it's usually easier not to confuse them with details and other elements such as devices you want to use with the monitor.

17. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah mine is a rev 3 too and no dice. Customer service is no help. I'm just going to sell this on eBay and never do business with Dell again. I wanted to pick up a 12" powerbook anyway so I figure a 24" with busted component inputs could fetch me maybe 350 to 400.

18. rocketrod macrumors newbie

I got opposite problem

I have got opposite problem. I have dell 24" st2410 monitor. When i connect my ps3 with hdmi to monitor. Everything works fine I get the display for the options with sound. I can browse internet see photos and rest of the options works smoothly with proper sound. The problem starts when I try to play the game I get the display but the sound disappears. I can play the game but without sound. and it also happens with my old sony 50" bravia tv (7 years) . When i connect ps3 with hdmi to Tv I get sound but not display or vice versa.

Can anyone help me to overcome this problem please?