Can't Get Rid of Application in Toolbar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gballa, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Gballa macrumors member

i deleted an app a while back, its a web filter for my kid, and i moved on to a better one. I deleted everything related to the software, and yet every time at startup, the little castle logo appears next to my other icons...how do i get rid of this. The attached file shows what i mean exactly and the circled icon is the one im referring to. Thanks guys. not sure if its attached or not....

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That looks like Intego's ContentBarrier. The proper way to uninstall that is to run the application's installer again and choose the "Uninstall" option. Can you do that?

3. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

actually, i deleted the app, and no trace of intego software is to be found when i search for content barrier or intego...

4. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

try holding command and dragging it off the dock

5. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

its not on my dock its on my toolbar at the top of the screen

6. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

yeah it should still work...hold command and try it...you can also rearrange the icons by doing the same thing

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

open activity monitor and look at all processes then look for one with a name that looks like it could belong to that app. Then search through your hard disk for whatever the name is. Then delete it. And if that doesn't work double click the task that you found in the Activity Monitor then double click it. Then click "Open Files and Ports" it'll show you that task's path. Then delete that file where ever it is.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

What dizzlemizzle suggested should work since your icon is in the menu bar at the top of the screen. BTW- you don't need to hold the command key to drag things off the dock (just drag them off with the mouse) but you do to remove items from the menu bar.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There are certain menubar items that cannot be removed this way.

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Absolutely-- like the stock Apple ones usually are not and can only be rearranged within the bar using the Command key. But third party icons can usually be removed this way so it is worth a shot.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What are you talking about? I can remove every stock icon in my toolbar other than the spotlight icon with just the command key. However two of my third party apps cannot be removed that way.

12. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

ok i have located the file thanks to your help, but i can not empty the trash because all of the files are in use. How would i delete them then??

13. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

Note: The app isnt on my list of login items, yet it still comes up at login before i can delete it.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need to kill the process using Activity Monitor. Then you can delete it.

15. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

ok the process was killed and the icon disappeared from the toolbar, but i still cant empty the trash....

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

restart computer then try to empty trash. also reinstall the app and download appcleaner. it's a free app uninstaller. it gets rid of everything for you. you might have missed something the first time manually deleting it.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Just to be clear, in Mac OS X, that bar at the top is called a menubar not a toolbar. Continue on... :)

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If after a restart you still can't delete it open up terminal type "sudo rm /file/path/name"
    then hit return.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you dont feel like figuring out the path, you can drag the file to the terminal window and it will fill in the path and filename.

20. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks guys, i got it fixed...now to try to forward ports on a cisco router (no idea)

21. HBOC macrumors 68020

to do that (change settings of the router), you need to type in the ip address of your computer.. ie; http://192.xxx.xx.x.x or whatever it is. That is how i chnaged the setings on my linskys (cisco) wireless to put a password lock on it.

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think he means an actual cisco router, which uses unix-like terminal commands.

23. Gballa thread starter macrumors member