Can't Get Rid of iChat Avatar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thewhitehart, Mar 5, 2008.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I was setting up a google talk account for my dad to use in iChat on our iMac. Stupidly, I was showing him how to add accounts to iChat while I was logged in. I added his account as one of mine. Because of this, my photo-avatar appeared next to the account, and because my father is also in my Address Book with this google talk account on his address card, I appeared as my own buddy - my face appeared next to "Dad" in my buddy list.

I deleted the account from my iChat accounts, but whenever Dad logs into this account (from his own login or anywhere else), my face appears next to his name on my buddy list no matter what icon he chooses to use.

My photo seems to be permanently associated with him in my buddy list even after deleting his account from my iChat accounts. How do I get rid of it? I tried refreshing all of my previously used avatars, and the photo in the address book entry I have for him is blank. I even deleted and re-added him as a buddy. That didn't work either. I know the photo is stuck locally on my iMac, because when I'm on my macbook he appears as his typical bowling ball icon. :)

2. forgottensoft macrumors regular

select his name in your buddy list, right click and select "Show Info"
    There you can change his picture, make sure that "Always Use This Picture" isnt selected

3. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Every time I change it, my photo still appears in the buddy list. :(

Is there anyway I can delete the photo from some sort of library folder?

4. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Yay, I figured it out.

If this odd situation happens to you, delete everything in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iChat/Pictures

It purges iChat of all your buddies' avatars until they login again (or unless you have a photo of them in your Address Book, then it'll show that picture for that buddy).