Can't get SIM working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jdcnosse, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jdcnosse macrumors newbie

I followed the Instructions listed here to get a gophone SIM card working with the iphone. I even restored the iPhone 3GS with the SIM card in it and reset network settings. It is an orange/white SIM card, and I currently have the cheapo phone on the really cheap 10¢ minute plan (only using this to make sure it can get an AT&T signal.

Strangely when booting up, it said "Searching..." then just said "No Signal." I did get this used off of craigslist but the original owner never mentioned that the cell radio didn't work. I've also tried a T-Mobile SIMcard in the device (not unlocked).

Any ideas on how to get it to work?

It is running iOS 5.1 with modem firmware 05.16.05, possibly able to downgrade to IOS 5.0.1, or upgrading the firmware if it's not unlockable.

2. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whoops forgot the link. Haha I got the instructions from here http://modmyi.com/forums/t/754109-iphone-gophone.html

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's because your baseband version 05.16.05 is not unlockable.
    The only way to unlock that phone is by installing the ipad bb and be carefull if you choose that route.
    If your 3GS is new you can fry the cellular radio, wifi and BT function by installing the 06.15.00 baseband.

4. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I didn't think I needed an unlocked baseband to use a gophone SIM, because its still AT&T...

I also believe it's an older 3GS because when I was jailbreaking it the first time, I found out it has the Old boot rom

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh sorry, I thought you were trying to use a Tmobile sim.
    Yes on prepaid AT&T you dont need it unlocked.
    Make sure the sim you're trying to use is not locked to a specific cellphone cause AT&T does that.
    If you can get a prepaid sim from AT&T dont give them the imei number of the phone just tell them you have the phone at home. Then the sim should work from what I heard.

6. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Do they charge for lost SIMs? Like if I say I lost my old one, will they charge me for another?

I'm only trying to get this to work on prepaid AT&T because I bought it used off craigslist, and want to make sure that it works with AT&T before I trade it away to a friend of mine. Don't wanna trade something that doesn't work lol

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt they will charge u for a sim replacement.
    They're dirt cheap anyway.

8. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha true. Thanks anyways. I only ask because my girlfriend's sister got a new phone on T-mobile, and since she still had her SIM card, they didn't give her a new one. She had to keep her same old one.

9. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I'm posting this here in this thread because it's similar and related lol

I got my iPhone 3GS jailbroken with redsn0w (and untethered, yay old bootrom!) running iOS 5.1 (baseband 06.15.00), and I've even unlocked it with ultrasn0w, but I still get an invalid SIM message with the prepaid AT&T SIM. I'm assuming this is because I'm using one of the orange gophone SIMs that is locked to the phone it's sold with, but I'd thought I'd just check to see if there's anything else I can do, because well...if it's supposed to be unlocked

I ordered a t-mobile SIM off eBay for like $2 so I can always wait for that to arrive to make sure it's unlocked.

Attached Files:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just to double check I'd use redsnow to reflash the ipad baseband to make sure its in correct state.

11. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I'll have to try that. I originally downgraded to 4.1 to flash it, and used and older version of redsn0w (0.9.6 i think?)

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you downgraded to official 4.1 and not custom JB 4.1 then you messed up the ipad bb and you need to reflash it.
    If you ever try to restore to any official firmware version on an iphone that has the 06.15.00 bb then you put the baseband in an inconsistent state and it wont recognize any sims at all.
    You will have to reflash the ipad bb to fix this issue.

13. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I think AT&T can detect when you're using an iPhone. I'm sure a lot of people wish there was a way to make sure AT&T never found out.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they can detect right away what device you're using to connect to their network.
    But if you're on prepaid plan they cant add an iphone data plan unlike if you're on a post paid monthly plan.

15. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense lol I'm not entirely sure if it was official or not, but I will probably just restart the whole process.

Yes, because when using the GoPhone SIM, it look like I am starting to get signal (I get 1 out of 5 bars apparently) but then it changes to "Invalid SIM" after awhile, which is why I assume it's that locked phone-SIM problem. I just tried a T-mobile SIM, it said "No Service" but I didn't reflash the ipad bb before.

16. TechSpec87 macrumors newbie

If you got to a corporate location they won't charge you for a sim, the only iPhone that will technically work with everything no problem on prepaid is the original iphone, the 3G and up will work for calls and texts but data is iffy at best since they don't provision the plans for iPhones, although they do have separate data plans for smart phones to be used n prepaid with android And windows

17. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yes, that I do understand but I dot really need data, at least not for my simple network test. Lol

18. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

Also, forgot to ask...is there anything specific I should/should not do when getting the replacement SIM? Like telling them it's a GoPhone or anything like that...

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If they ask you if you have the phone with you or the phones IMEI tell them you left it at home and you dont have the imei either.

20. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I figured, in that I wouldn't want to give any information about the phone I have, since I don't want the same SIM again lol

Thanks for all your help too!

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

22. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: so apparently because I didn't register my name with the account, it just says "Prepaid customer" I have to call customer service

23. theramatch1 macrumors newbie

Can't get SIM working

How can i unlock my SIM?

24. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

If it hasn't been locked to a specific phone, then you just need to jailbreak the iPhone, then get ultrasn0w from cydia, that is if your baseband can be unlocked. If it cant, you'll need to flash the iPad baseband (which there's no going back from, and will probably break your GPS) so you can use ultrasn0w