Can't get Snow Leopard Installed on my MBpro with SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NYActor, Nov 6, 2014.

1. NYActor macrumors newbie

So I'm puzzled. I got a new SSD from OWC for my MacBook Pro 17" late 2006 model. I've reinstalled Leopard and all of its updates and am now trying to go up to Snow Leopard and have hit a speed bump. I've used both the retail upgrade DVD and a disk image from a Thumbdrive and both have the same result: I am able to start the install but when the status timer says 46 min. remaining it restarts then goes to 33 min remaining and I get an error with a yellow triangle and exclamation point saying it can't be installed and maybe I should restart and try again. Of course after doing that I get the same problem. I had Snow Leopard installed on my MBPro before with the HD that came with the laptop so Is this something to do with the SSD? Again, it boots just fine (and really fast) into Leopard 10.5.8 I just can't get it to finish the install for Snow Leopard. Anyone have any ideas on what gives?

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If I remember well when I did this procedure the last time, you must format the SSD prior to installing (by booting the DVD into recovery mode and launching Disk Utility), but I'm not sure if this solution will work.

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I don't think that's the answer. Leopard is installed so the SSD is formatted.

4. NYActor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's right. I appreciate the response, but I did already format the drive before I installed Leopard. It may have something to do with the type of install disk I have for Snow Leopard. It's not a full install if I understand correctly. It appears to be an upgrade install which requires Leopard to begin with. It's just frustrating because I have Leopard installed. Off to the "Genius Bar" tomorrow to see if they can solve the problem.