Can't get speed test past 1.09!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I just moved into a new apartment and had the basic cox plan of 1 mb/s. My speed test score was around 1.09.

I just upgraded to the 3 mb/s plan and my speedtest score is the same.

Whats the deal?!

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

1. Are there other devices on the network?
    2. Test it on another laptop to see if it is the MBP that is having a problem
    3. How do you live with such a slow internet?

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

lol.

1. There is nothing under my "shared" section in the finder. Not sure how to check for other people under the router settings, the router is old ha.
    2. I tested on my girlfriends 13" MBP and she got 1.01
    3. The 3 mb/s plan is $32 a month! I can't pay much more than that : / It seems to be the plan that the majority of people go with. What speeds do you have and what do you pay for em? If you dont mind my asking.

Is it possible that my router has something to do with it? Its a wireless G.

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

when you ran the test before (on the old plan) was your girlfriend using her computer?
    also, is it encrypted? If it isn’t then other people may be connected to your network without you knowing it.

and I get 20-30 MB/s on my MBP (wifi) and 50 mb/s wired. We pay...too much. :mad:

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Nope, it was just me.
    Its WEP. I cant seem to choose any other option in my router settings.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your post is unclear weather you upgraded today or yesterday. If you did, some ISPs need time to change your account. I'd give it a few days until the speeds change.

Upgrade your router. WEP should never be used in the modern day.

7. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Not sure if this is your case, but has the ISP already switched? I say this because for me it generally takes a few days before the connection speed goes up. If after about 3 days the speed hasn't gone up yet, you could try giving them a call.

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Thats fine, as long as its password protected. How far away from the router are you, and is other stuff using the bandwidth while you are running the test (downloading stuff, streaming video, etc).

9. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Im not running anything else while doing the test. And Im sitting right next to the router.

I did however run my test right after getting off the phone with COX and upgrading. Although they told me that everything is ready to go, sounded strange to me, I bet I'll have to wait for it to kick in. I will report back tomorrow :)