Can't get straight answer - activating iPhone on another network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bTaryag, Feb 23, 2015.

1. bTaryag macrumors member

Hello all. I'm having a hard time getting a definite answer on this.

If I buy an iPhone from Verizon (I'm eligible for an upgrade), can I bring it UNOPENED to another country that only uses GSM, open it there, pop in a local SIM card, and activate and use the iPhone?

Will it activate with a non-Verizon SIM? Will it then work with a non-Verizon SIM?

Thank you!

2. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

Yes it will work fine with non-verizon SIM out of the box.

3. bTaryag thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

And if I order it from Verizon as an upgrade for a line I have, will that line/number automatically be connected to the phone?

I.e. If I gave the phone (in the box) to someone else out of the country, would they be able to use the iphone with the verizon sim - using my number?

4. I7guy macrumors G5

In theory yes, but I'm not sure if the phone has to be activated first. There is also a thread about vzw phones being locked for international use. Might want to search for it and read the thread.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would not sell or send out of the country with the included SIM card. Not so sure for Verizon but on AT&T upgrade phones, when you turn them on the number used for the upgrade moves to that SIM card and you existing phone and SIM card are deactivated.

You really need to call Verizon to get the information about outside this country.